ZD22 fuel injector pump fault code 0707

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In relation to the hard start ie around 8 cranks and it would then run perfectly followed by easy starts until the vehicle sat for a couple of hours I rechecked the new injector pump. I found diesel under the inlet banjo fitting and tightened it. I also think there was a bit of diesel leaking from the return line so I replaced the Nissan hose clamp with screw type clamp. Since then I have had no further problems starting the vehicle No MIL either so fingers crossed.

I hope this post might help somebody in the future on the range of things to be checked for a faulty pump.

Thanks Tweak'e for your thoughts especially your earlier post about the banjo fitting. I didn't think a new one would leak but there you go!

Cheers

Mike

Nope the rectified leak hasn't resolved the starting issue. Given that the vp44 is electrically in a closed loop system before it reaches idle speed and the ecu kicks in (which rules out sensors etc etc) the most likely fault I think is a cracked or worn diaphragm in the pump which was not replaced when the pump was rebuilt. Apparently the Bosch testing equipment doesn't pick tthis up because when it is operating the pressure is fine on the test bench. Might be a sticking shut off solenoid too.
Might well be onto changing the pump for the third time!

Quick update which might help someone in the future. After clamping the return line i gave it a couple of more days of tests and it starts first time every time now. I have been having the glow plugs come twice and this has resolved the problem. The glow plugs are only a few months old and the are getting the correct voltage. Might just see if I managed to get a dud plug

Cheers

Good luck mate i know how you feel i had a dud pump sent out to me it was doing the excat same thing, as your first reco.

Thanks Jack2840 it's great to know you aren't alone when these things happen. I read about one person who had to do it three times and he was paying labour costs on each change!

Cheers

Mike

I wish i knew then what i know now put it that way lol, would have saved me some coin. Was thinking about the hard start, just check your voltage when cranking, a sad battery or starter can do it to, need 9 or 10 volts at that pump to fire

Thanks for the suggestion which I will check. The battery is new and I know that I was getting battery voltage at the pump but I haven't checked voltage under load. Excellent thinking actually. I off down the Gibb River today so I will check it out throughly when I get back next week and post a reply. Thanks again

Mike

Interesting trouble code after a trip down the Gibb River. I connected up the ecu consult and got a code 77: rear heated oxygen sensor. I thought a code 77 was injector pump timing? Anyway the Trouble light would only come on at idle or very low revs. Restarting the engine would resolve the problem and the overall performance was not effected however I did notice a couple of times the engine spluttering and then everything was fine.
Does anybody know where the oxygen sensor as I though the 2002 didn't have one apart from the sensor near the air cleaner - perhaps that's it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Mike

Interesting trouble code after a trip down the Gibb River. I connected up the ecu consult and got a code 77: rear heated oxygen sensor. I thought a code 77 was injector pump timing? Anyway the Trouble light would only come on at idle or very low revs. Restarting the engine would resolve the problem and the overall performance was not effected however I did notice a couple of times the engine spluttering and then everything was fine.
Does anybody know where the oxygen sensor as I though the 2002 didn't have one apart from the sensor near the air cleaner - perhaps that's it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Mike
you have the petrol codes no the diesel codes.
77 or 0707 is injection pump failed to achieve max timing. air being sucked in will do it especially at low rpm where the pump suction is lowest.

Thanks for the info Tweake. ECU talk mustn't be as accurate as I thought or at least the Nissan conzult programme has a fault. I will have to investigate further

Cheers
Mike

ZD30 New Inj Pump:code 0707

Hi this is my first post and I hope some genius on the forum can make a suggestion that might resolve my injector pump issues which I have been working on for a couple of months.
I initially had a fault code 0707 (injector pump timing) on my injector pump and checked everything I could think off and bit the bullet and installed a refurbished pump 4 weeks ago. After two weeks of smooth running apart from a squeal a couple of times from the injector pump area but could have been the fan belt or exhaust escaping from the egr gasket, on comes the MIL again with the 0707 code.

When the light isn't on the vehicle runs really well. It has good acceleration and torque through all the gears and idles smoothly. When the engine malfunction light does come on resulting in a mini limp mode of about 95km top. I can get normal acceleration back by depressing the clutch and revving the engine to around 4500rpm or putting it in neutral and revving the engine to 4500rpm however the MIL stays on. When I start the engine again which is never a problem the light isn't on but does come on from anywhere between 2 and 30 minutes. I have taken the following steps to resolve the problem:

1) I have replaced the diesel filter (for the umpteenth time) which resulted in no change. The lift pump was changed recently as it had a ruptured diaphragm.

2) I checked for air bubbles in both the intake and outlet points of the lift pump - no bubbles. Checked through clear plastic tube which is now permanently install.

3) Throttle position sensor was changed about 2 years ago, however I connected the appropriate terminal on the TPS and ran the vehicle in real time and garage tested the voltage values which are as smooth throughout the range with both the engine light on and off. No codes for a faulty TPS are registered.

4)Neutral Position Sensor was replaced to rule out it out last week. No change.

5) Timing chain is good.

6) I have removed the harness between the pump and the wiring loom. Although clean and dry all connections on the harness were cleaned with approved electrical cleaner as was the pump connection poles. A voltage reading was taken at terminal 7 which results in battery voltage - good. Grounding is sound. Good connectivity through all wires.

7) No trouble codes are coming up for the cam shaft sensor and crankcase sensor, however the connections were cleaned with an approved electronic cleaner. No change

8)Manifold charge sensor tests are within recommended values, sensor cleaned and the connector as well.

9) Air temperature sensor tested okay.

10) Turbo charger actuator functions as expected.

11) Swirl valve and actuator function as expected.

12) EGR is producing no trouble codes. The engine has a EGR blank inserted along with the appropriate rerouting of the vacuum lines to the actuator and shut down solenoid from the EGR solenoid. EGR solenoid is still connected only for the ECU monitoring.

13)ECM relay has been cleaned and wiring checked no issues.

14) The wiring loom has been checked from the pump to the ECM and no open or shorts found. All connectors have been inspected and cleaned.

15) The 3 wiring loom earths to the inlet manifold have been cleaned and checked. So has the engine earth.

16) Continuity between the injector pump and ECM terminals 33, 40, 52 and 53 are good.

17) I have noticed that the p77 code seems less frequent with a full tank of fuel and more often with 1/4 of a tank. I checked it with a full tank of fuel and took fuel cap off no change but less likely to come on. I removed 40 litres of fuel and ran the engine with a 1/4 of a tank both with and without the fuel cap on and no change. Light comes on and engine goes into limp mode.

18) I then connected the intake of the fuel filter to a small fuel container (5litres) and the fuel return line from the injector pump to the fuel container. I then drove the vehicle at speed and throughout a range of driving conditions without the MIL coming on, however I pulled up and continued to let it idle for a few minute more and the MIL came on. Total elapse time was about 40mins.

19) Swapped ECU no change in code readings.

20) Driving the car on rough, corrugated Kimberley roads and the highway make no difference. So I have ruled out the a hidden break or loose connection.

21) I have heard that not having a working break light can result in the MIL coming on. I can't see how but the both are working.

Sorry about the long first post but it is the most baffling problem I have had and would prefer not to have to remove the pump again. I have also tried contacting the supplier of the pump but emails and calls are not being returned. So I just hope somebody can assist.

Cheers and thanks for reading the post its very much appreciated.

Mike

Regarding 0707 code - I agree with tweak'e in following thread - it's usually related to blocked fuel filter or air in lines.

I have 2006 D22 dual cab ZD30 STR, 190,000 kms, very little trouble for it's entire life, and about 60,000km offroad.

My experience:
1) Engine light began triggering (MIL) soon after starting and going into limp mode.
2) Initially happening at low revs. 0707 code coming up (no others after cleared fault record).
3) Replaced fuel filter (even though there was no water in it) as well as several slightly leaky and perished hoses into AND out of fuel pump.
4) Result = Engine light no longer triggered at idle, but when revs pushed to 3,000-4,000, then triggered an went into limp mode. Same 0707 error code. Seemed to indicate small air leaks present at higher pressure.
5) Read in another thread (could be by tweak'e - he's knowledgeable and trustworthy) to check banjo bolts on fuel pump (fuel inlet and outlet).
6) Found they could be tightened by about 90 degree turn to "firm".
7) Problem fixed!
8) Cleared error code, and none has occurred since. Engine light hasn't come back on and that was weeks ago.
9) The banjo bolts weren't loose, but the extra tighten seems to have sealed 1-2 very small air leaks.

Recommend trying this for 0707 code and before attempting more significant repairs like replacing fuel pump.

Good luck, hope this helps someone and if not, don't give up, someone out there will help you find a solution.

Regarding 0707 code - I agree with tweak'e in following thread - it's usually related to blocked fuel filter or air in lines.

I have 2006 D22 dual cab ZD30 STR, 190,000 kms, very little trouble for it's entire life, and about 60,000km offroad.

My experience:
1) Engine light began triggering (MIL) soon after starting and going into limp mode.
2) Initially happening at low revs. 0707 code coming up (no others after cleared fault record).
3) Replaced fuel filter (even though there was no water in it) as well as several slightly leaky and perished hoses into AND out of fuel pump.
4) Result = Engine light no longer triggered at idle, but when revs pushed to 3,000-4,000, then triggered an went into limp mode. Same 0707 error code. Seemed to indicate small air leaks present at higher pressure.
5) Read in another thread (could be by tweak'e - he's knowledgeable and trustworthy) to check banjo bolts on fuel pump (fuel inlet and outlet).
6) Found they could be tightened by about 90 degree turn to "firm".
7) Problem fixed!
8) Cleared error code, and none has occurred since. Engine light hasn't come back on and that was weeks ago.
9) The banjo bolts weren't loose, but the extra tighten seems to have sealed 1-2 very small air leaks.

Recommend trying this for 0707 code and before attempting more significant repairs like replacing fuel pump.

Good luck, hope this helps someone and if not, don't give up, someone out there will help you find a solution.
I personally have come across this 3 times in past couple years all fixed with a simple banjo bolt tighten so it’s worth a try that’s for sure

Latest posts

Back