2 Month old 2.5 Navara blowing excessive smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruge

Reaction score
Hi guys just seeing if someone could please help me out here.

I am already having issues with my "10 plated ST 2.5TD with build date of November2010, I have only had my ute for less than 4 weeks and was due for its 1000km check up, after picking up the vehicle i was told that it was currently blowing excessive smoke under load in which Nissan have asked me to to take it in again to go over the computer which may need to have settings changed.

Has anyone else had or know about this being an issue? I am quite pissed off to think this may be a start to a ongoing issue and knowing what my local dealers are like if this does not get fixed after a 20 min computer job it is going to be a big shit fight if parts are going to need to be replaced.

Any responses would really help.

Thanks

Hey Fruge,, I,ve had my ST for 13 mths now and it has been blowing black smoke since i got it, admittedly not all the time but enough to make me think about it,, every time it goes for a service i tell them about it and they say that they carn,t do anything about the ECU,,, It,s done just over 25000k and i haven,t had any issue,s with anything mechanical yet and i get about 9.7l in the economy, so i,m still looking for answers myself,,, One thing for sure i,m sick of polishing the tailgate to get the bloody soot of it,,

My 2 cents worth anyway

hi, i presume you mean its blowing black diesel smoke, i have a 2010 ST, same as yours, nearly has 15000kms on it, it has blown what i would call excessive black smoke since day 1, nissan has looked at it on each service, reset computer, put injector cleaner through it, still the same problem , it is going in tuesday week for a tubliner ill get them to check it again. i havent worried to much about it because there is a few around that blow a fair amount of smoke . nissan did say it could be the diesel you run, i always run BP or SHELL. i will be interested to find out the solution as well
geoff

Thanks for the comments guys, Pup mine hasnt got to that stage yet of needing to get the soot off the tail gate although I have only needed to fill it up once it would seem fuel comsumption would be about the same as your (9 - 10ltr per 100)

Geoff my first refill was also shell, i dont know if what my dealer put in it from the get go..

I know i should expect a diesel to send out a bit of smoke under load but then again I see so many other later model diesel trucks getting around (hilux, ranger etc) with no black smoke.

Should i be concerned about this or am i just getting to carried away with a higher expectation from these trucks??

Cheers.

I wouldn't worry about a puff under load. I haven't owned or seen a Diesel that doesn't.

Mines five years old and does it.I have noticed that the brand of fuel does make a bit of difference.
Shell or BP seems to reduce it a bit.
Never had to clean soot off the tail gate.

Last edited:
I agree with Jason, do the EGR mod.

All diesels produce black smoke (soot). Usually it's not a matter of insufficient air (like a petrol car), it's just the way diesels work. Removing the EGR will help improve combustion and reduce the soot, but you'll still get it under load.

I'd suggest that if your economy is in the right range, you're not overfueling the engine and there probably isn't a thing wrong with it.

Also being new does not garrunatee ur EGR valve is working right.
Mt d40 after 1000k developed weired EGR valve problems.
Blocking it off is the best solution, Nissan will never fix it if its EGR related.
Come to think of it , Do nissan fix anything on our cars?

The 2.5 is becoming known for this. Know of one person being pulled over by the police for it when it was near new. From the story I was told he took it straight to the dealership and they resolved it. When next at the dealership get the service manager to search their Intranet. They actually have a database / forum of known faults and remedies contributed to by Nissan Dealers.......Prize to the first person that can hack it!
Not sure what they do to resolve the issue but I believe it is either a reset to the brains or they flash the ECU with another map.

Wow that's much cleaner compared to ours. We've been seeing some D40s blowing black smoke on the expressways as well. Those were brand new too, no plates yet. Gives Nissan a bad rap. :rant:

hey guy i have a st to and it blowing lots of smoke to so what is the egr sorry guy not very good with car shit

EGR is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" - there is a Wikipedia page that might also explain it for you, but I'll have a go here.

Normal combustion temperatures produce nitrogen oxides (NOx), which they don't want (although they don't explain why).

Reducing the combustion temperature by dampening the combustion with gas that doesn't allow the fuel to burn completely will reduce (not prevent) the formation of NOx. Some NOx is still created, so cars are fitted with CATs (Catalytic Converters) to reduce NOx emissions further.

You should already be able to spot the problems with this technique.

If you can't completely burn the fuel, the unburnt fuel goes out the exhaust. In many current diesels, they use a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) to catch these extra particles. Unfortunately, the DPF needs very high temperatures to burn off the stuff that wasn't burnt during combustion, so extra fuel is squirted into the exhaust to burn that off and the NOx produced is hopefully reduced by the CAT. In every step, extra fuel is required.

Your engine runs at a cooler, but less efficient temperature. If you can completely combust the fuel in the first place - during the initial combustion stroke - then you're maximising the power output, reducing the fuel needed to achieve that power output and overall improving the fuel economy of the vehicle. In my mind, that means I'm burning less fuel to begin with, so there's a distinct advantage there.

I could understand using EGR if the engine was producing something truly dangerous, like lots of Dennis Fergusons. But NOx isn't high on my list of terrorist activities and there's a CAT helping to remove them, as well as the reduction in fuel consumption.

Blocking the EGR does cause these emissions to rise and would be tantamount to removing the factory emission control systems, which may break the law.

The problem is, leaving the EGR intact causes the vehicle to blow more black smoke. Any inspection of the vehicle will spot the black smoke and not the NOx, and certainly they'd overlook the blanking plate installed in place of the gasket at the EGR valve - so the chances of getting caught for emission issues is REDUCED by blocking the thing off.

Does that help?

Aside from the egr block, does fitting a catch can help emissions? I just plant a tree for every 10,000km I run so I don't feel so guilty about the egr block. :biggrin:

Aside from the egr block, does fitting a catch can help emissions? I just plant a tree for every 10,000km I run so I don't feel so guilty about the egr block. :biggrin:

Nice theory, unfortunately trees absorb carbon dioxide not the NOx your generating by deleting the EGR.

NOx gas forms acid rain, which in turn kills trees. So you can start feeling guilty again.:sarcastic:

A catch can helps remove condensables like water and some of the heavier organics. But the majority of the vapour still goes through the combustion cycle. The excessive smoke people are complaining about is unburnt diesel.

And the commonly installed catch can is attached to the output of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) to catch the engine oil.

Diesels (much more than petrols, although they do it as well) allow some of the combustion gases to slip past the piston rings. "Allow" isn't really the right word - the goal is to minimise it, but anyway, the force of combustion squeezes some of the gas down the side of the piston and into the crankcase area.

This pressurises the crankcase area. Hot oil will splash, some of it will turn to vapour and it will be forced out the pipe that allows the higher pressure to escape. In the D40 engine (and perhaps the D22 as well, I didn't go looking) there is an oil trap in the top of the engine, but still some oil escapes - this is fed into the air intake between the air filter and the turbocharger inlet (because you don't want to try and push boost into the crankcase!).

A catch can will trap that oil and allow you to rescue/re-use it later.

Does it affect emissions? Not really. The specification for the crankcase oil in our diesels is JASO-FD - that's the highest rating for low-ash oil generally available. This means that if you burn the oil, it produces very few particles - it burns very cleanly.

So your catch can won't assist in emission control, but it might catch a little of the oil that the engine can't. Is that worth doing? Many people think so, and I'll do it as well, eventually.

hi guys, my mate had a 09 model d22 blowing smoke he put a snorkle and exhaust on it and it stoped not sure why but it did, nissan couldnt get it to stop

i think today tonight needs to get on to nissan

Back