D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for that guys, was begining to think i'd been stooged with mine, guess i better get the brain out of retirement!!!

oh and thanks for the welcome harley

Ill try and put some pics and specs up soon

cheers sean

I'm starting to think maybe the combo of muddies, auto transmission and big arsed tool boxes is buggering me up a bit

I believe this has been suggested many a time. Larger tyres as well as wearing tyres, to some degree autos, extra weight, suspension lifts, driving habits and many other factors will always effect economy. There are times where you can circumvent the effect of one thing by doing something else but the bottom line is that many mods people want to make to their cars will have an adverse effect on economy.

just did my first tank. traveled 688 km on 64 L, this equates to 9.3 L/100 km. that's 50/50 highway vs. city driving. very impressed with the economy so far at standard kerb weight. i'll be happy if i can keep it under 10 L/100km after mods.

Have about 15,000k on my Diesel auto STX and have been doing a spread sheet since new. Am averaging about 11.5k/100km. Have run it until the fuel light comes on several times now to check on my range and it,s always the same, somewhere between 580 and 590k,s.

Just filled my 09 kingcab up this morning 510km for 54 litres, i think works out to about 10.58 per 100. Not too bad mix of highway and round town driving. Manual,bullbar, snorkel, alloy tray. Cheers

Hi all
just traveled from sunny coast to Emu Park(Rockhampton) for the state junior surf lifesaving titles. 1190klms round trip towing the camper trailer - well loaded. Averaged 14.78L/100 for the trip.
Sat on 105kph on cruise most of the way.

touring tip - bell park cvan park at Emu park is a top spot (50klms east of Rocky)

Hi all
just traveled from sunny coast to Emu Park(Rockhampton) for the state junior surf lifesaving titles. 1190klms round trip towing the camper trailer - well loaded. Averaged 14.78L/100 for the trip.
Sat on 105kph on cruise most of the way.

touring tip - bell park cvan park at Emu park is a top spot (50klms east of Rocky)

I now have 45000km on the clock and the average for that entire period is.....14ltr/100km....now there has been a lot (and I mean a LOT) of off road work in that but not very much towing.

I have 98,000km on my 07 (euro 4) auto and carry about 250kg of tools and equipment at anyone time.

I average 11L/100km on the open road and 13L/100km around town.

I have had it down to 9.3L/100km open road a couple of times but that was pretty much just flat road running.

When I going off roading it drops to average of around 14L/100km.

Last edited:
Vortex Diesel

Has anyone tried the Caltex Vortex diesel in their D40? I would be interested in your opinion before trying it myself.

Not sure if it was a d40 or a 22 but there was talking in one of the threads about Vortex fuel being used, try doing an advanced search for Vortex

after towing about 2 tonne for a full tank my economy dropped to about 15l per 100km. All urban, lots of stop start driving. still hps better than my falcon. hopefully it will improve as i get more used to towing with it.

I've used Caltex Vortex Diesel. Caltex happily advertise that they use up to 5% biodiesel too, and while that might be the issue, it might just be a different cetane rating. I get better performance from Shell than I do from other brands. Caltex and BP are close seconds on my list of preferred fuels, with Mobil if I am reasonably desperate. Liberty, Farmer's Fuel, Metro, United and any servo that says "Mobil Products" are right down there on the bottom of the list sharing last place with "camel piss".

I dragged the service dickhead into the sales dept, grabbed the salesman I dealt with, pointed at the windscreen and asked them which one was the liar, back in next Friday, we'll see what happens.

08 king cab 2.5td auto steel ray
Im getting about 16-18l/100 unladen , with 800kg camper on back and towing a 4m tinny 22-26l/100 , top speed unladen or loaded up 120km/h flat lines at 120k and nothing left under foot , they are replacing injectors today , hope this works , shit house

My petrol V6 auto gets around 16-17lt/100km, mix city/freeway but mostly short trips. I think the auto adds greatly to fuel usage, the torque converter at surban limits (60-70kmh) doesn't lock up often enough and spends much of the time slipping. Sees a substantial increase at cruising highway speeds though, drops to 9-10lt/100km. I'm sure with a good ECU edit the auto shift/torque converter lockup program can be greatly improved. Pity Nissan can't do it themselves.

The V6 has heaps of go but Nissan also limit full throttle until your speed is above 60kph, maybe drive chain protection, maybe safety(the 4x2 doesn't have a LSD).

Bit sad really as the V6/Auto combo is great, silky smooth shifting auto, engine with loads of power and revs so clean. Could only imagine this in a rear wheel drive sedan.

08 king cab 2.5td auto steel ray
Im getting about 16-18l/100 unladen , with 800kg camper on back and towing a 4m tinny 22-26l/100 , top speed unladen or loaded up 120km/h flat lines at 120k and nothing left under foot , they are replacing injectors today , hope this works , shit house

Let me know how you go, they still can't fix mine, haven't offered injectors yet.
My boat is 1.4tonne & if I take it from Sydney city to Mona Vale (don't know how far, bout an hour in traffic) i'll use nearly half a tank, must be well over 30l/100km!

Edit- After they saw the 265/75 mudddies they became less than happy to help out

Last edited:
Justdrinkbeer, that's a horrid fuel consumption rate. We pulled our 1.8T van through Sydney peak hour heading to Canberra (*waves to Anthony & family*) and didn't refuel until Pheasants Nest where 60.19 litres filled the tank giving us an economy of 18.91LPHK, and since she only had 11,890km on the clock at that point, it wasn't all that bad.

Those muddies will affect fuel consumption, but I hardly expect them to double it. (Removed stuff about finding the ECU reset, I discovered you did it). That seemed to help - has it gotten worse again?

Last edited:
Hi beer dude,

I also run 265/75R16 muds (Mickey Thomson MTZ's), among a HUGE range of other equipment on my vehicle.

Yet my economy is currently hovering in the low to mid 12's per hundred km. Doesn't matter what I do - urban, highway, swags on the roof or not. The economy is the same regardless.

hi my d40 dualcab TD Auto only getting 465km & fuel light comes on around town
& about 550ks when towing van freeway will check towing rate in Aug on trip to Queensland.

Latest posts

Back