D40 EGT probe location.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st-x08

Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone drilled and tapped the factory cast dump pipe to fit a EGT probe or is there a better way or place.

There's two schools of thought on EGT probe location, because the turbocharger can really draw heat energy from the gas (up to 250 degrees C). If you tap the manifold just before the turbocharger you'll get a lot more variation in temp and a lot higher temperatures displayed. If you tap into the dump pipe, you'll see a lower, more stable temperature. Both methods are suitable, but when asking about whether this temp or that is appropriate, you need to say where the probe is located.

A convenient location some people use is where the EGR pipe comes out. Remove the EGR, make up a plate of a decent sized material (eg 5-6mm mild steel) and then mount the probe in the centre of that and fit it to the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply.
I am about to order one of the boiler tube manifolds so the egr is out.
I might ask if they can ad a port to it.
The cast dump pipe would be fine just I have never had to drill and tap into one before
and wasn't sure if they where prone to cracking or if they are thick enough.

When I fitted mine to my d22, I drilled the factory dump pipe. I didn't tap it though, I used the hose clamp setup that the autometer gauge came with. I never had any trouble with it leaking either... The wall wasn't very thick, but it may be thick enough to tap a thread for an egt probe...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back