TJM Canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjones

Reaction score
So, I went to TJM and enquired abut their canopies - they didn't do the high backed one for the D22, but I didn't need to get the reinforcement like with the ARB canopy.

So I ordered it with Rhino racks and it was fitted on Friday. I got the call at 4.45pm, so shot up there to pick it up.

Firstly, it was a high backed canopy - which I was told wasn't available. Now, I'm pretty happy about that, but they've added the rhino rack regardelss, but the reinforced areas are on the slope, so the bar across is on a slight angle.

The front bar (nearest the cab) is also a few mm lower than the back bar, so if I put a tray on it, it will slope.

So as a bit of a newb in these matters, is this a usual set up?

It seems like they should be able to match up the heights of both bars so any tray can be flat?

I'm also a little disappointed that they've fitted it on a sloped section of roof causing the bar to be on an angle, but it may be an unavoidable issue with these style canopies - any thoughts?

have you got some pics you can put up mate? it would vary between manufactures, but if all you want to put on the racks is a tray, it won't matter if it's on a bit of an angle. it would only matter if you wanted to run long lengths of something across the canopy and roof racks, but even then, it may not matter, most manufacturers try to make their products work with standard OEM gear, so you may find the racks on the canopy line up pretty well with genuine roof bars or something. if they dont and you're really not happy with how they sit, you could take it back or try putting some packers under the front bar to raise it up a bit, just make sure you seal it well to make it water tight

Thanks for the response

I'll load a photo up later if it will help.

Newb question no 2. - Are packers a homemade thing or something that are bought? With the canopy on an angle, I would have thought these would be standard issue to level off racks!

Last edited:
Photo - hopefully...

Hopefully this would have worked....

Attachments

• Various inc Easter2576.jpg
    Various inc Easter2576.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 191
I would not be happy with that. I am looking at getting a canopy if i was presented with that I would not accept it personally.

the mounts for the bars look like they're just a universal set designed for a flat surface. mine look like they've been custom facricated to take the Rhino bars and keep it all level.

I'd take it back and question what they've done.

as for the packers, a bit of both. you could custom make them or Rhino may have something to suit different applications. that way they can manufacture more volume of the same mount and use packers or different mounting kits to suit different vehicles

They are definately differet heights; jkust not different enough and because one is mounted on the down slope so to speak, the bar isn't flat.

I've taken it back to TJM and they say they will investigate options.

OK so TJM have got back to me and said that after discussion with Rhino rack, there's no way of getting the bars level and that to achieve this they are willing to remove the existing bars, repair the canopy and supply and install the side mounts which can achieve a flat result from.

My only issue is that I'll end up with a canopy with 8 holes (admittedly they will be professionally done) filled and sprayed on top of the canopy.

I feel as though this is an issue of miscommunication between the canopy supplier and TJM and that I'm going to have to accept a 'tainted' product at the end of it and its not been my fault!

What are your thoughts - should I just accept the offer and move on? What would you expect if you were me?

personally I think Rhino are full or shit, they'd only need to make two mounts with an angled base and the bars would be level. If TJM can supply then with a drawing of the canopy so they have an accurate measurement on the angle of the roof, it would be piss easy! It would mean the mounts wouldn't look the same front to rear, but they could make a matching set for the rear, thats how my mounts on my TJM canopy to suit Rhino bars were done. They were probably a custom job, but they work a treat

It seems TJM are trying to help you, so credit to them for that and they can give you a canopy with the racks you want, then thats a good thing to, so let them try but ask if it doesn't turn out how you want it to, will they return the canopy and return your cash?

they have put the incorrect rhino bars on that canopy, if you plan to carry stuff on that bar set up you can good bye to that canopy, you need internal canopy supports like this photo, these are from rhino racks, that canopy would only support maybe 15kgs if that, sorry mate but take it back to them and say its definitely incorrect.

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts

Back