4WD light comes on.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal ram

Reaction score
Hi guys. Recently bought a navara 07 model d40 stx auto. After a couple of days I noticed the4WD light comes on. Also the 4wd symbol in the dash dissappears. Got the mechanic to check the codes and it read BCM and TRANSMISSION. The transmission shifts fine. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks.

The actual code would help more, but no matter. Transmission could (and most likely will) refer to the transfer case rather than the gearbox. Might be a loose/dirty electrical connection, or (as has happened before) a sensor inside the transfer case has failed or has become intermittent.

Hopefully the car's not actually in 4WD.

Connections are on the large unit attached to the rear of the gearbox. Can't miss it - it has one drive shaft coming out heading to the diff at the rear, and another coming out the front.

The servo control is at the rear and can actually be removed so that the mechanism can be operated manually. It's not a bad idea to give it a try because it'll isolate whether it's the servo itself, the wait sensor or the 4WD position sensor. Here's how:

Remove the servo, then insert a large flat-bladed screwdriver into the opening (if you look in, you'll see a large slot). Turning it 90 degrees will engage 4WD. Turning it a further 180 degrees will engage 4LO. You should be able to hear the mechanism engaging.

Which reminds me - you ought to be able to hear 4LO being engaged even with the engine running. Do this first: Hop in, turn on the ignition but don't start the car. Put your gearbox in neutral, put your foot on the brake then select 4LO. You should hear quite a substantial 'clunk'. If you don't, the servo might have a problem, or maybe a transfer relay has failed - or even just a fuse! I think these could be checked before pulling the car apart.

Fuses and relays are located in the black box just behind the battery in the engine bay in your model.

Latest posts

Back