Rear Passenger Door not Closing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gacoxd

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm on my second Navara and I have a problem with this one that also occurred with the last one.

The problem is with the rear passenger door. It does not seem to want to close of the first attempt SOME of the time.

Initially I thought it was the young fella being slack and I would get up him for not shutting his door properly and it was only after it happened to me a couple of times that I realised that there was something wrong with the door.

I have tried explaining it to Nissan but I've had no luck. And because it is intermittent it usually behaves itself when I go to show the service guy.

I persevered with the previous D40 and hoped with the new one that it would have disappeared.

Has anyone else had this problem and were you able to find a solution to it?

Mahalo

Damo

Not had the problem but if it's intermittent I'm not surprise Nissan can't find it.

Only things I can think of are, something in the way (which should be kind of obvious), door not hanging right (adjust the hinges) or sometimes a window is open or atleast cracked a little bit.

Both the hinges and the steel loop that the latch grabs are adjustable. Adjusting the steel loop on the C pillar is easier as you don't have to break the panel sealant. DIY it.

I've had the exact same problem since new, you just learn to live with it but it is obviously a design problem.

Happens in a lot of newer cars because the door rubbers and seals are bigger and the air vents to let the air out are often obscured or just not as big as they were in older cars. Or maybe they have just learnt to seal cars better! (Might be a few people who've done river crossings that wont agree with that).

Hey Folks,

I'm on my second Navara and I have a problem with this one that also occurred with the last one.

The problem is with the rear passenger door. It does not seem to want to close of the first attempt SOME of the time.

Initially I thought it was the young fella being slack and I would get up him for not shutting his door properly and it was only after it happened to me a couple of times that I realised that there was something wrong with the door.

I have tried explaining it to Nissan but I've had no luck. And because it is intermittent it usually behaves itself when I go to show the service guy.

I persevered with the previous D40 and hoped with the new one that it would have disappeared.

Has anyone else had this problem and were you able to find a solution to it?

Mahalo

Damo

When new mine had wind/air noise from the back. To fix the problem nissan just adjusted the door closer so the seals would take up better... problem solved, but just have to give it a fair sort of a throw to close them the first time.

A common cause of wind and noise in D40's has been the small window in the rear door not being installed right (mostly passenger side I think). Mine is a little bit loose but it doesn't actually let the noise in because the guy who tinted it actually fixed Nissan's FU but there has been quite a few people on here complain about it.

A common cause of wind and noise in D40's has been the small window in the rear door not being installed right (mostly passenger side I think). Mine is a little bit loose but it doesn't actually let the noise in because the guy who tinted it actually fixed Nissan's FU but there has been quite a few people on here complain about it.

Thats what they thought it was first as like you say a common problem, had both sides resealed and made no difference. Screwing the doors in worked in my case

I noticed on mine yesterday that the rear passenger side door doesn't line up with the body at the top like the drivers side.
It creates quite a bit of wind noise almost like the window being open ever so slightly.
The bottom of the door is aligned though. Its almost like the top needs to be a little bit more to seal properly.
I hadn't noticed it before, but it certainly got my attention on a 4hr drive haha. Whooosh.

Have the same problem with my 07, went to dealer and response was to use door more frequently. After explaining the door was used every day he shrugged his shoulders and we still have the problem.

i have another option to solve it mate.

i had this problem the other month with my passenger side door, the cable inside that links the two handles was snapped at one end, so the door catch wouldn't actuate. it's fixed now, thanks to me, i opened up the door and fixed up the little cable.

if you can shut the door when the car is locked but not when it isn't then that could be your problem, check it out.

I have an 08 Navara that has a similar problem but the door also keeps popping open whilst driving along. Any suggestions?

So many different issues with the D40 doors.

My rear doors are hard to open but close fine. The kids have to really tug on the handle to open them, which will break them one day.

Which part is sticking, the door or the door handle? My drivers door handle stuck when I first brought the car, was kind of like the door handle wouldn't come out far enough to release the latch. During a recall I asked the nufti's to fix it, they claimed they fixed it but never did but I did.

Which part is sticking, the door or the door handle? My drivers door handle stuck when I first brought the car, was kind of like the door handle wouldn't come out far enough to release the latch. During a recall I asked the nufti's to fix it, they claimed they fixed it but never did but I did.

Thats the same as mine Krafty. How did you fix it?

Newer cars often have issues with doors shutting easily because the seals do actually work and just a gentle push isn't enough to beat the pressure.

My Nav doors are pretty good but I have had plenty of cars and trucks (and bloody tractors) in the past where the door hits the latch and moves as little as 2mm up or down and it's enough to stop a gentle push shutting the door first go. There are a few things that can go wrong but on a new car the worst it should be is that the door or plate wasn't put on exactly right, you would hope it wasn't slack in hinges or other such mechanical issue.

Thats the same as mine Krafty. How did you fix it?

Graphite powder in the door handle when it's pulled out and try and work the powder into the actual mechanism by opening and closing the handle gently. You could use WD40 or CRC but it's messy and doesn't like dirt and grease is harder to get in there but would do the job. If you can get it in the right place the graphite powder will work it's way into the mechanism where the metal parts touch each other and free them up a bit. It's like a shitty keylock you don't need much and it's not a forever fix but it should provide some relief. I only do mine once maybe twice a year.

I think if you pull the door skin off and take the handle mechanism out you could man handle them latch to work better but it would be a prick of a job I reckon.

Latest posts

Back