Zd patrol clutch in a zd/QD manual gearbox!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davojohnson

Reaction score
Just wondering if the zd patrol manual gearbox is the same as the zd Nav manual gearbox and if not would it be possible to get a heavy duty safari tuff clutch for a zd30 patrol manual box to adapt easily into a box that is run in the Zd navs that's also run in the QD navs?

Hope this makes sense to someone.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mean to be a downer, but I have to wonder how come?

Did you know that Patrol clutches are so heavy they have vacuum boosters? I wouldn't love to use a heavy duty patrol clutch without a booster.

Just wondering if the zd patrol manual gearbox is the same as the zd Nav manual gearbox and if not would it be possible to get a heavy duty safari tuff clutch for a zd30 patrol manual box to adapt easily into a box that is run in the Zd navs that's also run in the QD navs?

It's a FS5R50A/B in the Patrol instead of the FS5R30A in the Navara. It's a bigger box and a fair bit taller so you might need a body lift to make it fit, not sure. Notionally the bellhousing on the ZDs is the same but the QD's pattern is different.

Flywheel size, flywheel bolt pattern, and trans input shaft splines will probably be different; otherwise those fitted to the Navaras are too big.

Did you know that Patrol clutches are so heavy they have vacuum boosters? I wouldn't love to use a heavy duty patrol clutch without a booster.

It's a FS5R50A/B in the Patrol instead of the FS5R30A in the Navara. It's a bigger box and a fair bit taller so you might need a body lift to make it fit, not sure. Notionally the bellhousing on the ZDs is the same but the QD's pattern is different.

Flywheel size, flywheel bolt pattern, and trans input shaft splines will probably be different; otherwise those fitted to the Navaras are too big.

Hey mate just wanting a rally heavy clutch for my Navara since I'll be pushing some fairly big numbers for power and torque very soon. And the only tuff clutch I can get for mine is a sports tuff and I want the safari tuff. When you say booster are you referring to a reservoir that is separate to everything else making it hydraulic? Been told mine has a hydraulic clutch in it.

Hey mate just wanting a rally heavy clutch for my Navara since I'll be pushing some fairly big numbers for power and torque very soon. And the only tuff clutch I can get for mine is a sports tuff and I want the safari tuff. When you say booster are you referring to a reservoir that is separate to everything else making it hydraulic? Been told mine has a hydraulic clutch in it.

they run a clutch booster like the your brake booster to make the pedal lighter

As ya talking sports and safari, I assume you are talking exedy clutches.
I had the sports (pink) put into my old gal some months back. They are a light clutch. It was deadly for sometime until it sort of bedded in but it's still light.
For what I'm doing I'm thinking I should have gone with the heavier safari but only time will tell.
For what you want, maybe the heavier safari is the way to go.

As ya talking sports and safari, I assume you are talking exedy clutches.

I had the sports (pink) put into my old gal some months back. They are a light clutch. It was deadly for sometime until it sort of bedded in but it's still light.

For what I'm doing I'm thinking I should have gone with the heavier safari but only time will tell.

For what you want, maybe the heavier safari is the way to go.

Yeah mate that's what I'm meaning cause the only Exedy clutch I can get for the QD32 is the sports tuff and not the safari tuff. That's why I'm trying to find out if it would be possible to put a patrol safari tuff into my QD Nav some how.

What year is your qd32? According to the exedy website the patrol clutch won't fit. The plate diameter is 275mm for the patrol vs 250mm for the qd. The input shaft spline is also slightly bigger on the patrol, 25.6mm compared to 25.5mm for the qd... in saying that, they do list a cushion button kit for the qd, if you think the clutch plate as opposed to the pressure plate is going to be the limiting factor in your expected power upgrade...

What year is your qd32? According to the exedy website the patrol clutch won't fit. The plate diameter is 275mm for the patrol vs 250mm for the qd. The input shaft spline is also slightly bigger on the patrol, 25.6mm compared to 25.5mm for the qd... in saying that, they do list a cushion button kit for the qd, if you think the clutch plate as opposed to the pressure plate is going to be the limiting factor in your expected power upgrade...

00" model mate and what's a cushion button kit? Haha never heard of them.

The pressure plate looks the same or similar to the organic (normal looking) clutch plate, except the clutch plate itself has crramic pucks on it instead of the standard organic clutch material. They don't really have any "slip" in them usually, as soon as the pedal gets to the clutch engage point they just grab and away you go.

to add:
i think the patrols use a dual mass flywheel and navara is a single.
patrol bell housing while its the same size as navara, the bolt pattern onto the motor is different. you can fit navara to it, just have to redrill the bolt holes.
with the terrano its completely different and the block is a bit different shape to.

werid for nissan to do it that way, it must have cost a ton more to make them all different.

werid for nissan to do it that way, it must have cost a ton more to make them all different.

You wouldn't believe the level of dumb anti-commonality shit that happens as part of local tailoring and cost reduction...

And to also add to the above, exedy do a single mass flywheel clutch kit for the patrols, which would give you the larger diameter clutch and the option of safari tuff. But if the bolt pattern is different it will obviously need redrilling....

And to also add to the above, exedy do a single mass flywheel clutch kit for the patrols, which would give you the larger diameter clutch and the option of safari tuff. But if the bolt pattern is different it will obviously need redrilling....

So in simple terms is it possible to put a patrol safari into a QD box with just redrilling the flywheel? Cause that was the main thing I wanted to know since if it's way enough to do that and change something else to whatever it needs to be to suit then that's what I'll be looking into doing since a mate of mine will be able to do all that. I just wanna know if I can do that or not cause I don't wanna sports clutch if I can find some way to adapt a safari clutch from a patrol into mine.

Well 0.1 of a mm difference in diameter on the transmission input shaft, according to their specs... I reckon it would still fit. Would probably be easier if you could get exedy to sell you a blank flywheel and get it drilled yourself. I'm only going off what tweake mentioned above, I don't know what the pcd difference is on the crankshaft between the 2 engines....

So in simple terms is it possible to put a patrol safari into a QD box with just redrilling the flywheel? Cause that was the main thing I wanted to know since if it's way enough to do that and change something else to whatever it needs to be to suit then that's what I'll be looking into doing since a mate of mine will be able to do all that. I just wanna know if I can do that or not cause I don't wanna sports clutch if I can find some way to adapt a safari clutch from a patrol into mine.

No, the spline is different. What you're proposing is way harder than it needs to be.

What engine are you putting in front of it that the heaviest duty aftermarket D22 clutch you can find would be inadequate? Finding some way like a spacer ring to up the preload on a HD clutch would be cheaper and easier.

By the way, going to a Patrol clutch you only score an extra 12.5mm on the radius. I think you can find an extra 10% breakaway torque through a simpler route.

No, the spline is different. What you're proposing is way harder than it needs to be.

What engine are you putting in front of it that the heaviest duty aftermarket D22 clutch you can find would be inadequate? Finding some way like a spacer ring to up the preload on a HD clutch would be cheaper and easier.

By the way, going to a Patrol clutch you only score an extra 12.5mm on the radius. I think you can find an extra 10% breakaway torque through a simpler route.

Putting a highly modified QD32 turbo behind it with at the moment 1 turbo and in future to be 2-3 compounded turbos of at least GTX2860R and bigger, looking at at least 200+rwkw so that's the reason why I want at least some type of safari clutch. Can't get them for my engine/gearbox cause the retards don't make them for mine even thought my gearbox goes into about 6 different models of vehicles across like 5-10 years. Can't understand why they wouldn't make them. Plus they charge fortune for a basic sports tuff clutch.
These are price differences and model differences and you can really see why I'm trying to option out for the patrol clutch any way I possibly can. It may cost a little bit at the moment but in the log run I reckon it'll be far cheaper since it'll save me a Shit load of clutches alone when I buy them and plus they'll last longer to start with.

dc177b1eeb3fd7c963af5ac5da3b742a.jpg
f6869fbea85e153012610893248e94ba.jpg

That TD one is just the first one I seen. Not even searching for a good deal yet so that's proving my price point already since I've seen these go for like $300-$400 these safari tuffs.

I've also already got a turbo on it and it's got a worn standard clutch in it and it's on very low tuned setttings but still slipping hard core. The standard clutches for my model aren't very good.

Latest posts

Back