Dodgey brakes!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVR

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago while at Landcruiser Park, I was trying to hold position on a steep, rough, loose, rocky track while waiting for my mate to clear an obstacle. While sitting there I had the unsettling feeling of a slowly sinking brake pedal. Twice I ran out of peddle and had to pump like mad to get the peddle back again, each time getting about 10 feet closer to my mate. Talk about stressfull!!!. Anyway, after a few coarse words of encouragement to get going ASAP, we soon got to a spot where I could pop the bonnet and have a look around.
Master cylinder reservoir......FULL.
All wheels.....clean and dusty, NO LEAKS evident.
What the hell?
The issue popped up regularly over the weekend during sustained hard brake application and so prevented me from getting too adventurous. (now I never will get to the top on telecom hill, blast it!!)

During normal driving it didn't present itself so I put it in the list of things to get looked at next service. Last weekend I was sitting at the lights in Beaudesert and I suddenly realized my brake peddle was going down again and I had to pump it up again.

This is now on the "Priority List".

So Guys, What do you think? I'm thinking master cylinder o/haul
Anybody experienced this? Had it O/hauled? What do you think would be a fair price this?

its either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder leaking air into the unit.
start with a replacement master cylinder if you can as the cost for a repair kit is sometimes more expensive than a new aftermarket cylinder beleive it or not.
try[ Bursons ] for the gear.

For those who may be interested.......
Re-sleeved master cylinder cost me $385 installed.
do they re sleeve the cylinder bore or hone the cylinder bore. $380 sounds alot to me for whats involved considering it could have only been a rubber seal leaking plus a hone only takes a few minutes. did you try for an exchange re con unit from places like Repco etc ?

do they re sleeve the cylinder bore or hone the cylinder bore. $380 sounds alot to me for whats involved considering it could have only been a rubber seal leaking plus a hone only takes a few minutes. did you try for an exchange re con unit from places like Repco etc ?

It's re sleeved with a stainless sleeve. I tried to find a kit but neither Repo or Supercreep could help me with a kit, nor could they offer local suggestions. The Mechanics a good bloke and he's convenient as he is next door to work so he got the gig :lazy:

Latest posts

Back