EGR Blank and Valve Failure (she's dead,solved)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My EGR plate is about 8mm thick and blocks every part of the EGR system from the inlet. Frees up the inlet manifold to. My boost comes on instantly and it has made a huge difference to the performance.

image-4112714091.jpg

image-689434461.jpg

image-4039455798.jpg

image-2558495988.jpg

When talking about the built up soot at the inlet end of the EGR tube 'catching fire', has anyone explained how that would happen if there is very little oxygen coming out of the engine ? I expect the vast majority of the oxygen that enters the engine to be used in combusting the diesel before the exhaust stroke.

Like most things I would have to see OP's EGR valve and plate before I could comment, but I don't really trust mechanics anyway, may be that the EGR is just a easy answer to charge him for a lot of labour after cleaning one of the connectors.

before i had mine done, it was completely blocked by soot carbon etc

had to have the intake acid dipped to clean it out

i may be able to get some pics when i pick the car up.. i asked them to take pics of it

whether they remember is another story

When talking about the built up soot at the inlet end of the EGR tube 'catching fire', has anyone explained how that would happen if there is very little oxygen coming out of the engine ? I expect the vast majority of the oxygen that enters the engine to be used in combusting the diesel before the exhaust stroke.

Like most things I would have to see OP's EGR valve and plate before I could comment, but I don't really trust mechanics anyway, may be that the EGR is just a easy answer to charge him for a lot of labour after cleaning one of the connectors.

I'm sure the "easy answer" scenario is possible, let's just hope that's not what happens.

There MUST be a certain amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream. Diesels run lean anyway, there's no throttle butterfly to regulate the airflow like in a petrol engine. There's an oxygen sensor in the exhaust so that it can know when it's time to heat the CAT up, or conduct a regen burn in DPF-equipped cars.

The vast majority of oxygen is consumed at full throttle - but in low and mid-range throttle, there's a decent amount left over, and since that's where we do most of our driving, there's more often than not a reasonable amount of oxygen present - certainly enough to burn things (like the DPF).

It's just strange - although not outside the realms of possibility - for this to happen (if indeed that IS what happened - we may never know).

Well I picked up the car this arvo.

As good as new. Had the oil changed while it was there.

Weird how the Egr caused the issue

But it's been blank off with a 3mm plate again so it should be ok from now on.

I haven't replaced the Egr as it's a 600$ part with can be blocked off.

So for now I will leave it until I source a cheaper unit from the wreckers

On a side note. The annoying squel from the pulleys and belts has disappeared.
Thank you qdad. What ever you did u stopped it

Makes me wonder that when they put the car together they put everything back together properly.... Last 2 mechanics said they couldn't do anything about it

And on another note. When I jumped in the car for the first time in nearly 2 weeks. I go the start the car and BAM. Won't start. Batteries dead. They think that the battery died from the over use trying to start. When I had it tested. It only read 72cca. The battery was rated for 750cca. So yeah it wasn't holding its charge

So a new battery later and it's all coming together.

I'm sure the "easy answer" scenario is possible, let's just hope that's not what happens.

There MUST be a certain amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream. Diesels run lean anyway, there's no throttle butterfly to regulate the airflow like in a petrol engine. There's an oxygen sensor in the exhaust so that it can know when it's time to heat the CAT up, or conduct a regen burn in DPF-equipped cars.

The vast majority of oxygen is consumed at full throttle - but in low and mid-range throttle, there's a decent amount left over, and since that's where we do most of our driving, there's more often than not a reasonable amount of oxygen present - certainly enough to burn things (like the DPF).

It's just strange - although not outside the realms of possibility - for this to happen (if indeed that IS what happened - we may never know).

I guess in that case it's not a terrible idea to clean the plate once a year or so. I will do mine when the time comes, although I honestly don't expect much accumulated crap on the plate since there is no flow taking particles to it.

Just checked my EGR blanking plate. Been in for approx 4 years I guess (or thereabouts). Apart from a thin coating of soot on the "hot" side, there is no visible damage, wear, burring, erosion etc.

Plate was made from a decent quality stainless scraper.

I'm in the middle of doing the pump so i got to have a look at mine.. put in 60,000ks ago and no damage at all.

I did block off both ends with 2mm stainless though. Now i have removed the pipe completely! Looking to remove the whole EGR valve...
Now i have a section of 5mm alloy on the manifold and if i dont remove the EGR unit I'll put the stainless back in on the egr valve..

There must have been something left of what ever they blocked it off with, it cant have completely burnt away or you would have heard the exhaust blowing through it - yes?
Mines the 03 zd30 by the way, i know they are different..
My god 40ks, did i read that right or is it a typo? They must have used alloy or very thin mild steel!
I feel for ya man, I've had shit luck with mechanics too... hence I'm now removing the pump myself, keep posted there maybe a cheap 03 nav for sale ��

Latest posts

Back