Sway Bar Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJ22

Reaction score
So after the install of the Lift kit ( Raw shocks, EFS Leafs, Torsion Bars) I was still getting a little sea sick in the ship whilst doing sharp turns. Ride was improved 100% but with the steel bull bar up the top end she still had quite bad body roll on the nose whilst turning. Having a look underneath it was pretty obvious that the existing sway bar was not up to much, being all of about 12mm Dia, and looked more like a toothpick.. it had to go.

I added a Super Pro 22mm sway bar with new poly bushes and links and to cut a story short, with the lift kit it has probably been the best mod to date. The improvement in handling, steering response is excellent. I think that a sway bar upgrade should come included with the lift kit as the improvements i've had speaks for itself. (Or even better from factory rather than a toothpick)

So If your like me and don't do much off-roading and want your ute to handle corners and general road driving properly I highly recommend upgrading (especially if you have a steel bull bar.)

Cheers

Nice one. Im in the same boat (excuse the pun) and didn't know anyone made one. Can always remove a link for more flex off road.
What did it set you back?

i looked at a rear sway bar kit years ago. i think helmig ?? did a kit for the frontier which should fit. i usually find the rear sways more, especially with top heavy loads.

Hey Rabbid It cost me $270 for the bar and $25 for the bushings on the lower link, I Just used the existing links but gave them a good clean before swapping over the Polly bushes. A bit pricey for a front bar but I think it was well worth it myself. It was the only thing that was bothering me about the car after putting in the lift Kit, I never cary any weight in the back so she was pretty sturdy after the lift but the front end was bad like I mentioned. Very happy with how she drives now though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SuperPro...233896&hash=item25d20f5946:g:NQYAAOSw-URZr1Ys

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Superpro...d=131534431568&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Cheers mate. I might give one of those a go next time im cashed up. I know for a fact Superpro are one of the few manufacturers that make consistently reliable polybushes so id have faith that its a good product.

So it fitted up ok? It surpriises me you have more of a boat after decent shocks and springs, i found the opposite on mine - actually handled better and rolled less despite the added height.

Tweake's was it pricey? You have a point regarding the rear, although mines not too bad with the heavy load leaves. I have trouble imagining there isnt something fairly generic that could be made to fit on the rear...? Something involving maybe u-bolts to the axle tubes and some home-made bracketry to the chassis rails perhaps?

yea Rabbid the ride was not worse after the lift it was just still rolling in corners, I thought the new shocks would have sorted it but it took the front sway bar to get it right. Think the existing sway bar which is like 12mm was not designed for the bull bar up front...Its much better now though.

Yea fitting was ok, Probably should have got new links but used the old ones with the new bushes, One of the nuts was worn a bit so just replaced that and she was good to go, Fitting was pretty straight forward, took about 2 hrs with a beer break every 15mins!!

I bent my original and replaced it with a standard bar, i wish i knew you could get thicker ones here!

pretty sure they use thicker bars in the US Frontiers

Yea they do, they run bigger engines in them over there so I guess they come as standard. Was going to try an get one sent over but I found this one. Its nearly twice the thickness of the stock bar.

Tweake's was it pricey? You have a point regarding the rear, although mines not too bad with the heavy load leaves. I have trouble imagining there isnt something fairly generic that could be made to fit on the rear...? Something involving maybe u-bolts to the axle tubes and some home-made bracketry to the chassis rails perhaps?
i never did get it in the end.
plenty of info on frontier forums on hellwig sway bars.
by mee it was a clamp on the axle and weld a couple of mounts on the chassis.

Ended up getting the superpro bar and link bushes for $250 on special. Wow it made a difference, Never really appreciated how bad the old girls manners were until i did this. Body roll aside, it actually has much more rear grip now where i was always chirping in the dry and outright fishying in the wet, and always with a less thatn gracefull snap back when i bring it back, now its perfect. Its funny, (but makes sense) how a front sway bar affects rear and vice versa Ride quality is better, reduces wallowing and even seems to be smoother in the rear. Best thing I have done for it for $250. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back