Water in gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilmah

Reaction score
As the title states I have water in the gearbox/transfer case. It has started to ooze out of the shifters. Is simply draining the fluid and refilling enough or do I have to pull everything out?

I'd get some sort of flush for it. Dump it and change the oil a few times at short intervals. If it hasn't been in there long it shouldn't cause too many problems. Too long and it will start corroding the bearings and cause big problems...

It only happened today, bloody power lines! has some deep puddles. Might change the oil very 1000kms 2 - 3 times. If its not degrading I know all the moisture has gone.

Nice, lol. Yeah, just dumpy it and change it a few times until it comes out clean after a few hundred km

After the initial change i would dump it while its hot and straight after a drive, that way the water has not had as much time to separate from the oil and cling to different surfaces.
On the last change you do when you are confident its all gone, add some NULON.

Will do guys, I had to change gears when doing a water crossing as I got stuck going from 1st to reverse so I could back out before getting bogged, I'm guessing it entered though the gear shifter.
Will know the exact extent of damage today when I open her up

Oh, yoiu took a bath in it.
Door seals?
You could also search for the prior discussion of checking where the breather lines end and ho to extend them. Some models had only short lines which are prior to sucking water on creek crossings.

Entered through the gear shifter, the rubber at the top had come off. I don't think a lot got in. Will inspect when I change the oil tomoz

So I drained the gearbox this morning. I managed to fill an 11L bucket with grey sludge. Filled the box up again with fresh oil. Will do another oil change in 1000kms. Hopefully it isn't as bad as this change and there is no permanent damage.

For future reference
75 - 85W oil
3/8 hex head to get the plugs undone
Few taps on the plug with a hammer and then the socket on the end of a breaker bar.
I went for a 15min drive beforehand to warm the oil and box up

^^ same as above do a hundred or two kms then dump it then after 500- 1000km again and add some nulon additive, and depending on how much is still coming out on the last change do it again after another 5k 10k

maybe for the quick changes just throw in the cheapest you can find, if its only in there for a 1000k then it wont hurt and its better then having moisture in the box, once youre satisfied its all gone put the good shit in.

Changed the oil again today after 200kms was slightly sludgy but otherwise good. Will do it again at 1000km

might be a idea to check. my rubber breather pipe coming out of the gear box had actually snapped off /come off. maybe cheack the breather lines just to make sure

Latest posts

Back