D21 possible engine conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levante

Reaction score
Here goes for first post... A request for help!
I'm part of a rover group with a D21 single cab with the 2.7L TD272 I4 diesel and we want to do an engine conversion with a VR Commodore 3800 V6.
We have done the research as far as:
- Adapter plates
- reading manuals and many many forum posts
- checking that the drive train will handle more power

So what I'm asking is: Will it work?

We don't need road legal just CAMS so major modification is ok if need be.

Else: Would another engine be just as cheap and work better?

Gday Levante and welcome, have you considered keeping the old oiler and plonking a turbo on it? But apart from that, the castlemain rod shop does adaptor plates to go to your box (pretty cheap too) but there is also all the other things like, engine mounts, fuel pump, cooling system, etc to consider also.

Good to see another D21 on here, keep us updated and give us some pics.

Why would you want to replace such a beautifully indestructible piece of wonderful engineering with that pushrod pile of junk?

:big_smile:

In all seriousness though, it's entirely possible and has been done before many times. It will work.

As for your question of whether there is a better motor: what exactly do you want to use the vehicle for?

...d21demon...
Considered it.. The old engine has only done ~230 000km but it hasn't had the best life from the looks of things.
We are going for the off-road races like Sandblast and Barmera so V6 = better (plus we could turbo that).

Have thought about these things, going to try a V8 engine radiator for low speed high revs and the 3800 L27 comes with an oil cooler of its own so we will put a fan on that.
Fuel system mods are kinda abstract right now as is wiring but within our limited skill range. The exhaust system works out easy(ish).
You hit my main concern though. Will the engine fit (the Navara engine bay looks big enough) and the engine mounts will have to be moved drastically won't they?

Thanks for your help. Will get some pics asap

Last edited:
Okay, you're definitely going to have to change the engine mounts. Hopefully one of you is very handy with a welder?

Engine bay space you'll be fine, I've seen V8s shoehorned into the D21 engine bay and they're 1/3 longer again than your V6.

I've seen Pathfinders (same engine bay) AND Navaras with Commonwhore V6s.

You won't have too much trouble with the wiring provided you get the complete loom from the engine supplier. The TD27 single cabs have very simple wiring so you shouldn't get into trouble splicing them together.

Fueling: the TD27 doesn't have a pre-pump in the tank. That information might help you down the track.

Last edited:
On radiators: the TD27 radiator is better than the Z24 radiator, probably almost V6 spec, but I can see why you'd want to fit a V8 radiator.

No worries about the welding, with some of the other things we're looking at doing a couple of mount points isn't bad.

Considering that we are going from diesel to petrol anyway there is a chance we'll have to swap the tank for something different, or at least get it out and cleaned so we could fit a pre-pump then.

Do you have any different ideas for the engine? Keeping an open mind right now. Looking for something good at offroad and in sandy conditions both 2wd and 4wd. Thinking the "Commonwhore V6" only really because it is cheap ponies.
- Thinking about it, what is the performance gain from adding a turbo to the diesel? The cost-benefit might be better than V6....

Last edited:
You don't have to replace the tank. Just clean it out and install a pre-pump from a petrol model if it's up to the delivery spec.

You're up the right tree with the V6, there are superior motors for sand (V8s, diesel V8s) because torque is important but they're a considerable price jump so with regard to bang for buck your best bet is still a V6 with performance mods.

Yeah a turbo intercooled diesel V8 would be the thing of dreams :big_smile: but a little out of our limited budget.

Anticipating that the Engine Computer for an automatic commodore would not work and that the manual Computer would be needed?
Also can anyone see an easy way around the dash? Thought of just rebuilding our own dash using custom gauges.

There are quite a few other (rather dumb) mods that we want to do but that will have to be posted under build-ups or something I suppose.

You have to use a manuals computer, automatics one does not work with the navs manual. Also you should stick with your existing tank setup and get a commy fuel pump and mount it externally somehow because the petrol navs i.e. z24 has nowhere near enough pressure. Engine swap should not affect your speedo if thats what your worried about, cause speedo runs from the transfer case on 4wd models. You should also be able to aquire an engine mount kit from from the same suppliers as your adapter.
Good luck with the research, keep us posted.

The TD27 is a pushrod motor to.

But Id take one anyday over a GM motor. However a Duramax could tempt me.

Dave.

Based on our research so far we are looking at spending about $1,000 to do the engine conversion and we are picking up our Nav next week for $800 (was defected for having too large tyres).

Considering all the objection to a GM motor are there any ways to get the extra power out of the TD27 for $1000?

Don't worry, we're just smart-arse Nissan tragics. :santaclaus:

The TD27 is not a motor suited to your application, the GM would be quite well suited. For your budget, that is.

Your budget for the conversion however strikes me as inadequate - admittedly as it is not road-registered, you do not require the services of an engineer, but it still seems unlikely that you could obtain adaptor plates, engine mounts and a complete engine with ancillaries, as well as a V8 radiator, within that budget. Allow for a project cost blowout of about 30%.

To answer the question directly, for $1000 you'd get a turbo on the TD27 and it still wouldn't be the best engine for your application. :top:

Sorry, went away for the weekend and forgot to check posts before I left.

I was going to allow about a 15% blowout but that was probably a bit optimistic. The only reason it is that low is because we are getting the engine fairly cheap.
We will sell the old engine, but maybe not ebay because none of us have sold anything before and hence have no seller rating. Probably use trading post etc.

Now waiting until we can find a good time to pick the car up, hopefully this weekend... Then I can post some pictures before we violently rip the old diesel out. :p :victory:

Don't be scared of selling on Ebay with no rating, plenty do it.

Offer to people that they can view before bidding as well?

I guess we can always give it a shot on ebay. Can't hurt.

Have revised the expected cost to ~$1250 with a 25% blowout.
Breakdown:
  • Engine + Loom= $140
  • Wiring= $50
  • Exhaust= $120
  • Cooling Sys= $100
  • Adapter Plate + P&H= $600 (About the only one we're sure about)
  • Fuel lines and Pump= $150
  • Engine Mounts= $100

Pro-Nav: Could you (or anyone) give me a breakdown of what you would expect the costs to be?

You are getting that engine very cheap, lucky boys.

It depends on your exact plans and your contacts, but if I had to do the swap tomorrow, I'd be looking at this sort of pricetag:

Exhaust - 2.5" Mild Steel Non-Mandrel straight pipe, custom from headers back - $250+
Adaptor Plate/Engine Mounts - Through Marks Adaptors you're looking at more like $2000 (help me out here Pinelli??). Not sure who your supplier is.
Fuel lines & Pump - Navara tank, Commo pre-pump, larger notional ID hard lines? $150 - $200+ buying lines new.
Engine, Loom, Ancillaries - I'd have to pay like $500+ but you guys have a deal already for a cheapie
Cooling system - You're going to take a 2nd hand ford/holden V8 radiator or something? I can't see that happening from a wrecker for less than $200, including buying hoses from repco etc.

So, before blowouts, it'd be $3150+

I assume you need to get different tyres for racing it?

Please please please please please please do this project! I just don't want you to start then run out of money and for the project to die.

YMMV.

Latest posts

Back