Power loss?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkingcab

Reaction score
Ok my ute is d40 diesel on cold days seems to have no balls at all on warm days goes better now to me thats back to front its about 10km/hr or more slower on sames hills in the cold. Asked dealer if he had come across it but he said lets fix one problem at a time lol. Im dealing with nissan aott the moment with dust goin straight thru my every air cleaner i have put in its only got 20000kms on it the air flow meter was dirty also im fighting for extended warranty and refund of air filters. could they be linked i wonder

It's part of the reason cooling fans have a clutch that slips when the engine isn't above operating temp. Engines have an optimal operating temperature at which they will produce the best torque and power. In my sedan, for instance, the optimal temperature is 90 degrees.

If your Nav is not reducing its cooling effort on cold days, you'll fall below optimum temp and power output will be down. Watch the temp guage on a cold day and hot day (or just at night when it's colder) and see if there's any noticeable difference?

That's what a thermostat is for.

My temp gauge has never fluctuated with weather or anything else.

Not to mention you will know if a diesel is cold by it rattling.

I thought you meant overcool intake temp. I was wondering what planet you were on :eek: My mistake.

Ok my ute is d40 diesel on cold days seems to have no balls at all on warm days goes better now to me thats back to front its about 10km/hr or more slower on sames hills in the cold. Asked dealer if he had come across it but he said lets fix one problem at a time lol. Im dealing with nissan aott the moment with dust goin straight thru my every air cleaner i have put in its only got 20000kms on it the air flow meter was dirty also im fighting for extended warranty and refund of air filters. could they be linked i wonder

the dirty MAF will be the cause of the power loss.

some fine dust can get through the air filter but thats not normally noticeable. are you useing paper filter?
most likly air filter is not sealing somehow. check filter is in correctly and is sealing.

the dirty MAF will be the cause of the power loss.

some fine dust can get through the air filter but thats not normally noticeable. are you useing paper filter?
most likly air filter is not sealing somehow. check filter is in correctly and is sealing.

Why would that be temperature dependent?

That's what a thermostat is for.

My temp gauge has never fluctuated with weather or anything else.

Not to mention you will know if a diesel is cold by it rattling.

I thought you meant overcool intake temp. I was wondering what planet you were on :eek: My mistake.

Yours is working perfectly, then. :top:

A stuck open thermostat, I'd have thought, could cause the described issue, unless it is related to the dust problems he's having. How cold does it have to be to rattle, though? Would his be cold enough?

Last edited:
Why would that be temperature dependent?

air mass changes with temperature and the MAF is not noticing the change in air mass. when they get dirty and start going faulty it tends to be slow to respond. most likly you will notice boost is low when its gutless.

if engine is to cold, eg stuck open thermostat, you will notice it takes ages to get warmed up and driving around town it will be cold. even with inaccurate facotry guages it will be noticable.

air mass changes with temperature and the MAF is not noticing the change in air mass. when they get dirty and start going faulty it tends to be slow to respond. most likly you will notice boost is low when its gutless.

if engine is to cold, eg stuck open thermostat, you will notice it takes ages to get warmed up and driving around town it will be cold. even with inaccurate facotry guages it will be noticable.

True, it changes with temperature, but the D40 MAF will be of the hot wire type, it's true that dust will inhibit the cooling of the wire, but wouldn't it inhibit the cooling equally regardless of ambient temperature and his power loss would be universal?

tkingcab, what does the guage indicate when driving around town?

Actually, I just thought about it... If you shield the MAF you will permanently get a low air flow, low air mass reading, so the mixture is attuned for that condition... Which only occurs when it's hot. You're right, Tweak'e. :agree:

i wouldn't get to carried away with the theory side. it would depend on how much moisture and oil that gets into the dust too.
also how the ECU learns the operating range of the MAF.

all you need to do is look at those that have had problems caused by dirty MAF's.

is it gutless only til it is warmed up? i think it could be the MAF sensor like tweake, but i also recomend pulling out and testing the thermostat

Ok well yeah i thought it was the dust also unfortunately kingcabs can only use genuine air filters paper ones they r different to dualcabs. ive replaced air cleaner already cleaned out air box put grease on seals of new air filter still again i cleaned out air box of dust ill post some pics 2moro im in the process of this with nissan at the moment the maf sensor was coated it dust.

It does feel like no or very little boost compared to warm days. like warm days will pull up same hills in 6th were on cold days im back to fifth
my temp guage is always same night or day.

Ok found pics these are pics of just before third airbox cleaning these are wat nissan australia has pics of not real great for 2 air filters grease on seals and only 20000kms

Attachments

• airbox1 (Medium).jpg
    airbox1 (Medium).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 60
  • ute airbox (Medium).jpg
    ute airbox (Medium).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 64
can't really tell in the pics but are you looking at the right side of the filter?

yeah mate that tube u see the maf sensor is just after it. with amount dust u would hope it was wrong side

Latest posts

Back