D40 King Cab Fuel Issues etc etc etc

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsagoa3000

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 2008 D40 2.5TD RX King Cab with factory bullbar and towbar and everything else is as stock as a rock.

1st question - I use between 14.4-14.5 lt/100km, now to go into this further I can set the cruise at 105km/h and cruise unladen all day and use the 14.4-14.5 lt/100km, then I can put my 1800kg 8x5 builders trailer behind it and drive that till the cows come home and return 14.4-14.5lt/km. I currently have 17,000km on the clock and the fuel usage has been the same since day one. WHY WHY WHY????? It's pretty poor I think if i can't even get 500km to an 80lt tank of Diesel. And as per usual Nissan Aust, have been real dicks about it and told me to basically go away and hide under a rock.

2nd question - I do the major services through a dealer to keep my warrantee so that's every 10,000km but I do a service in between there at every 5,000km...the last one at 15,000km I found fine metal under the oil filter...is this normal for the running in process???

Any help will be great, esp since I'm about ready to sell it and go Hilux.

Hmm fuel economy seems excessive. I get around 11l/100 round town. (dual cab though, i'm not sure if there are engine differences)

As for the metal particles, I used to get them on my race bike sometimes but it got a very hard life so I kind of expected it. I guess the question is how much is acceptable and where is it coming from?

Sorry I am not much help to you.

as far as I know there aren't any major engine differences etc. I know that apart from the motor though you have to really specify that you have a king cab if you are ordering a bull bar, air box, tow bar etc etc etc...seems that the motor and the two front guards are the only place that they share similarities. Believe it or not even the door handles are different.

Yeah mine has 23000km on it and has finally come down around 13l/100km
I wouldn go hilux they arent much better they get around 11l/100km unladen and worse when loaded and dont go as well loaded. tho you wont get that annoying door rattling.
my bullbar is for a r51pathfinder fits fine air filters and fuel filters are special to the kingcab.
the air filters let dust thru also bad even with a snorkel.
Go to a different dealer and tell them your fuel usage problems mine wont look at my fuel usage or power problem til nissan pull their finger out and do something about dust entering motor.
Too answer your question about metal particles are bad bad bad from any engine talk to your dealer show them the shiny stuff. If they say nothing call fair trading but KEEP evidence.
Show us a photo on here if you can.
Im a diesel mechanic myself by the way.

I have a D40 king Cab, just got 4000KM on, most of my K's (read all) are in town in traffic & I get 400km off a full tank, about 16.5-17l/100km, been to nissan & they just tell me the computer says its fine. If it doesn't come down real soon I'll be going Hilux too!

for the first 10000km my ute used those sort of figures and in town if ur floggin it anything will use those sort of figures.
Mine has taken 20000km to come down to around 12l/100km

for the first 10000km my ute used those sort of figures and in town if ur floggin it anything will use those sort of figures.
Mine has taken 20000km to come down to around 12l/100km

Will give it the benefit of the doubt then, suppose you don't get much worse than eastern suburbs for fuel economy figures!

hahahah yeah different issues.....well where do I start...squeaky rear corners of the cab, squeaky drivers seat, rattly doors, sagging suspension, high fuel usage, metal in the oil, (trying to convince myself that that is going to go away considering my recent dealings with Nissan Aust) and the list just seems to be getting longer and longer and the thing has only done 17,000kms!!!!!!!!! NISSAN...GOING FROM SUCH AN ICONIC WORK HORSE THAT YOU COULDN'T KILL IF IT WENT ON THE DAKOTA TRAIL, TO THE NEW D40 NAVARA THAT SEEMS TO BE ABOUT AS GOOD AS TITS ON A BULL. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING NISSAN?!?!?!? KEEP YA GOOD NAME ALIVE AND FIX THESE PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So im not alone in the rattling doors dust thru too engine squeky everything. fuel usage will come down but not to what sticker says dont get why, i replaced my suspension at 2000km it was shagged then completely shagged all shocks gone.
Im goin to fair trading you should do the same

yeah I haven't had any problems with any dust getting in..I live out at Kalgoorlie and believe me there is plenty of dust out here. I have though managed to fix 75% of the door rattle by taking the covers off the top latches where the "B" pillar would be and cutting a piece of 6mm harmonic rubber and putting behind the actual catch. That fixed the tops from banging around, and the bottom, I haven't really had a good look at yet, I suppose if going by the rest of the car they aren't going to be adjustable, or not be able to be adjusted enough if they are to take the full rattle/banging out, so was thinking of drilling out the holes in the catch and changing the actual bolt that holds it all on so that I can adjust it as I see fit.

Fair trading sounds like it's going to be a good idea...I'm just waiting for a few third party companies to see if they can draw any conclusions about the fuel etc, and then I'll make that decision.

Yeah keep an eye on dust tho mine styarted from early on.
The doors they spaced out top catch with washers to make doors shut tighter but still up the crapper.
yeah drilling and moving the bottom catch looks the only way around it but its dodgy especially with seatbelt attached to that door

i've got an 09 stx kingcab with about 2500kms on it and im getting around 9.5 to 10.5 litres per 100ks out of it. Why would the oil, fuel and air filters be different to the dual cab?

Having just returned from a trip to QLD from Vic and now with some 50,000k's on the clock i seem to have suffered none of the problems you talk about . Was getting around 12/12.5 L /100k's when sitting above a 100 k's and around 11/11.5 L /100k's at a 100 or below. Whilst these arent car figures i really shouldnt be expecting much more given the size and weight of vehicle.
I will say fuel economy is great when towing my 2.5 tonne boat and so is the power it provides, plenty to get out an overtake.

The oil filter is the same as a dualcab
Couldnt tell you why the fuel filter is different but be thankful its a cheaper fuel filter than some dualcabs,
Air filter well dont get me started, its smaller than the dual cab airbox as well

G'day all I have an 09 rx king cab, mine use too much diesel too, but not as bad as some. Mine averages 11.5 ltr per 100. only done 6000kms, manual, bull bar, snorkel, alloy tray. I had an STX dual cab b4 this diesel manual as well and that was always spot on 10lts per100 from day one. Great torquey motors but u wonder why there is so much variance in fuel consumption. Have been thinking about a k&n air filter anyone been down that track?? cheers Col.

doesnt make sense for the air and fuel filters to be different when they are suppost to be the same engine. they are completly different compared to the dual cabs, wish i was informed of this when i went to buy my new nissan! i assumed that the stx dual cab would be pretty much the same as the stx king cab besides the obvious difference in the cab arrangement. The stx dual cab seems to have alot less of those little features that the dual cab gets.
What is the problem with the air filter that you have found?

Yeah i bought mine before the brochures were even out or they had landed was pretty pissed off about the spec inside the cab when i was told it ws of the same level as the dualcab inside, still its better than hiluxs and the like of the same price range.
If you look back in my posts in D40 there are pics of the dust goin thru past the air cleaner Nissan are still looking in to it apparently they have found more since mine. those pics are of the side that should be clean by the way the airbox is just upside down so i could take pics.

I am surprised at your fuel figures i really wish mine would come down to 10l/100km would make me happier with the ute

Just filled up again tonight, got 438km from 69litres, works out at 15.75l/100km. Is seriously pissing me off now, all service dept at Randwick can suggest is that I put 3 more tanks through it to give them an accurate guide, (I work it out every fill anyway). If they give me the same bullshit about being overloaded (150kgs) or having roofracks i'll be feeding it to them. If I got 500kms from a tank i'd be happy.
I also wasn't too happy with the level of trim compared to the dual cabs that I used as a guide, just assumed (after talking to salesman) they were the same inside

Just filled up again tonight, got 438km from 69litres, works out at 15.75l/100km. Is seriously pissing me off now, all service dept at Randwick can suggest is that I put 3 more tanks through it to give them an accurate guide, (I work it out every fill anyway). If they give me the same bullshit about being overloaded (150kgs) or having roofracks i'll be feeding it to them. If I got 500kms from a tank i'd be happy.
I also wasn't too happy with the level of trim compared to the dual cabs that I used as a guide, just assumed (after talking to salesman) they were the same inside

Something to try for better economy. It worked for me, I was only getting around 450-500km per tank but after doing this are now getting 600+.
Anyway. get some contact cleaner and clean the airflow sensor then put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and either get Nissan to reset the fuel pump or just disconnect the battery for around three hours or so to reset the fuel pump, then just drive as per normal and if your Nav is anything like mine watch you economy go up.:top:

Latest posts

Back