Oil Consumption

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
Hi all

Been a good week for so far...

Burgled on Monday (usual stuff taken - Wii, iPods, laptops, tools, partners jewellery etc).

More concerning was the oil light coming on yesterday. My D40 has done 4200 kms and the light started flashing.

Anyway, local dealer threw 200mls of oil in it and told me "she'll be right".

Anyone experienced oil consumption in their Nav when the engine is still new?

Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Bosshog

Not to try and scare you but I was told by a good mechanic if the oil light comes on you have already done some damage.

I personally would be worried mate.

Oh and sorry to hear about your B&E.

You need a security system. Most people think of getting one after being burgled but rarely before.

More concerning was the oil light coming on yesterday. My D40 has done 4200 kms and the light started flashing.

Anyway, local dealer threw 200mls of oil in it and told me "she'll be right".

sorry to hear about the break in :(

something doesn't sound right. to get oil level low enough for oil lights to come on it would have to go through at least a couple of litres of oil. 200ml is nothing.

also that the light was flashing rather than hard on. could have been just low enough to start sucking air. not sure if those engines have oil level or oil temp sensors.

whats the oil like? getting very deap black and thick?

Oil Level Warning
If engine oil level is 15 mm below low level of oil level gauge, oil level warning is detected.
Oil pressure warning lamp blinks and “OIL Lo” is displayed on odo/trip meter display, when oil level warning is
detected.
Oil level warning is displayed during ignition switch ON for 30 seconds after engine oil maintenance informa-
tion is displayed for 5 seconds.
l Combination meter reads oil level signal from oil level sensor.
l When combination meter judges oil level warning condition by oil level signal, oil level warning is dis-
played.
NOTE:
l Oil level is gauged when the driver door is open.
l Oil level is not gauged for 5 minutes after ignition switch OFF to wait oil falling down from cylinder head

My mechanic told me that the light is really touchy and when doing oil changes myself make sure the oil level is spot on the top line otherwise the oil light will come on. So from what he is saying if the oil is only slightly down, the light will come on, nothing to worry about, if 200ml was enough to make the light go away, there was still a shit load of oil in there!

my d40 did this too, only twice on startup, both times on slightly uneven ground and the light just blinked a few times. at first service (900 odd k's) found oil level to be slightly down, allegedly topped up at service. mine also occurred around the 4000k mark. dipped the oil on level ground and level was fine and no leaks to cause pressure drop. now 3 months later at 9000klm and it hasn't happened again and i have been checking oil level very regularily which has been pretty close to full. i'm assuming it was just a low oil level warning but it will be mentioned at 10,000k service in the coming weeks. i'll let you know if anythink eventuates. following may or may not be related but occasionally when cold engine will emit a faint tappet rattle sound at road sppeds below 60km at constant speed but only with slight, unchanged throttle depression. thats what warranty is for.

Latest posts

Back