Conflicting advice re exhausts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been talking to a few different people on what exhaust system to put on my D40 2.5TD.

It seems every shop has a different opinion. So far I have been told:

1. 2.75 inch mandrel bent including dump pipe and high flow muffler is the way to go.

2. 2.5 inch including hand made dump pipe and mandrel bent pipe is the way to go (I'm sure it is 2.5 already and looks mandrel bent to me?).

3. Another place says there is no benefit to replacing the dump pipe so I just need to replace from the dump pipe back (still $1200 :dong: )

4. Another says you cannot replace the dump pipe because the cat is in there. Quoted $350 to replace from dump pipe back with no muffler.

I am confused as hell...please help!

I would like the turbo to spool up sooner to try and get some power earlier in the rev range.

Cheers
Matt

yes there is a cat in the dump pipe. up to you if you want to remove it or not. there are some kits that replace the dump pipe and fit hiflow cat. its technically illegal in AU to remove the cat tho i don't know if anyone bothers checking diesels.

probably the biggest effect will be to change the main muffler.

one thing to watch when doing exhaust changes is the turbo can over boost a bit. it may take a bit of time for the ECU to learn the change but if it continues to over boost you may have to adjust the variable turbo. however thats usually only a problem when doing 3" exhaust with dump pipes and not all have that problem. thats also why most only fit 2.5-2.75 exhaust.

you could simply start with changing main muffler and go from there.

Have a look at DP chips also. Fitted to 2.5td & found it spins up a lot quicker, lot more throttle response down low & trundles around at 1500-1750 rpm without labouring at all. Made a big difference to driveability.

Hey Matt,

Check out Beaudesert Exhausts...they are a bit expensive but most people seem to swear by them for TD exhausts. I think they quoted me about $1300 for mild steel and $1800 for stainless, both mandrel bent, 2.75", no rear muffler....about 10-12% increase in power and torque is what they claim. Reading this forum and other 4wd sites, a lot of people think very highly of this place and get their exhausts shipped all over the country.
A chip may also be worth checking out like steel suggested...DP Chip or Steinbauer perhaps...the Steinbauer seems pretty good and combined with an exhaust should give u at least 155kw and over 500nm of torque.
Cheers,

Thanks for the help guys. Still a hard call to know whats going to be best, it will have a chip too in the near future so I want it to match in with that nicely.

yes there is a cat in the dump pipe. up to you if you want to remove it or not. there are some kits that replace the dump pipe and fit hiflow cat. its technically illegal in AU to remove the cat tho i don't know if anyone bothers checking diesels.

Don't forget that on Series 2 D40s you also have the DPF (diesel particulate filter) to deal with as well as the Cat. Gee it would be nice to remove both! Especially as the addition of the DPF has resulted in a drop of about 2KW. But it is illegal remove both and voids warranty.

In my case I'm getting a 3" stainless steel mandrel bend system fitted on Monday back from the rear flange of the DPF.

Bosshog

Taipan

I have the Taipan XP 3 inch with Ceramic Dump and Tunit chip and could not be more happy.
The turbo spools up very quickly and makes it a lot easier for towing camper trailer etc .
Temp had also dropped since fitting the above.
Also had boost and Pyro gauges fitted.

I have the Taipan XP 3 inch with Ceramic Dump and Tunit chip and could not be more happy.
The turbo spools up very quickly and makes it a lot easier for towing camper trailer etc .
Temp had also dropped since fitting the above.
Also had boost and Pyro gauges fitted.

Hey NisNav40, any chance you can post some pics of the boost and Pyro gauges please? If you dont mind my asking, what did it cost to get all that done? and where did you get it fitted please? Interested in putting a Taipan XP on mine...
Cheers, Todd

Hey NisNav40, any chance you can post some pics of the boost and Pyro gauges please? If you dont mind my asking, what did it cost to get all that done? and where did you get it fitted please? Interested in putting a Taipan XP on mine...
Cheers, Todd

Hi Todd262,
Had the system fitted at Surfers by taipan themselves.
They did an exceptional job.
Gauges are fitted to Drivers pillar.
Pyro is electronic" not cheap" but very very good.
Am away at the mo so can't send photos.
Cheers Nisnav40

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back