86' 4x4 engine conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougyjj

Reaction score
Hi All. Just picked up an old 1986 4x4 king cab nav the other day running a 2.4ltr. It's pretty gutless and can chew the fuel a bit too. I was thinking of putting a slightly newer more powerfull and if possible more economical donk in it as i am knocking up a camper cab for the back of it which will be in the 250-350kg area. I know every ones got there own opinions as to the best solution but i'm wanting to go with diesel, also 4cyl would be preferred but if v6 looks a better option then so be it. Any help on this would be great. I did do a search to see if i could find any answers so i wasn't just asking the same questions. This did help but only covered very few options. Things that would obviously help would be availability of engine type. difficulty of conversion, cost of engine, and offcourse performance and reliability

Welcome mate.

You could always KA24E or KA24DE it. They will bolt straight in.

Pinelli has done the conversion.

They have more grunt and heaps better on fuel then the Z24 aswell.

There was a very substantial post some time ago, that went through all the options, with opinions froma range of people. To sum up:

KA24E or KA24DE simple bolt in, little wiring - petrol multipoint injection system. Same gearbox and all. I did this conversion in a few works, evenings after work. First time I've done somthing like this.

Diesel (TD27T) is a lot more work, and will involve a gearbox swap as well, or at least a bellhousing if you're lucky. I'm doing this now, have been for a year and not half done yet. Partly, I'm busier at work. Wouldn't recommend this unless you enjoy swearing and getting yourself greasy. I'm really only doing this for the therapy - I work with high school kids.

Petrol V6 (Vg30) probably similar work to the Diesel, maybe slightly less, more power, more fuel.

Anything esle is nuts, and you would only do it for fun. If you're not doing the KA24, you need the whole body.

Thanks Pinelli,
Very helpfull thread, i knew its the type of thing that would have been flogged before just couldnt find it. The ka24 is looking like the easy and obvious option which is probly going to be best for me even though its not the direction i was originally going in. I think if i take into consideration my inexperience with engine conversions its the best way to go if i want to keep my costs down and actually finish the job while still putting a good powerplant in the old beast.

Hey Pinelli,
this is off topic but you've put your location down as prosvegas and i know that to be proserpine QLD. Is this right?

Latest posts

Back