DIY: Antenna Replacement Install D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tas_richo

Reaction score
DIY: D22 Antenna Replacement

Hello all, Just replaced the Radio Antenna on my 2005 D22 Navara and thought half way through thought some pictures and instructions would be appreciated by someone one day. I know I made some mistakes along the way so hopefully this will help you in not making the mistakes I did.

What you need:
2001-2008 D22 Navara
AP183 Replacement Antenna (available from onlineautoparts.com.au for $39)
A new top rubber piece also comes with kit to replace your old one.
10 and 12mm socket (1/4" Drive would be the best)
30-60 Minutes

1. Remove lower drivers side dash panel.

2. Disconnect antenna cable from extension cable in drivers kick panel, right next to inner guard, There is an extension cable running to the radio from here. (prick of a spot but it is there, alternatively you can buy an extension for $6 and make your own way to the radio which I had to do)

3. Remove Drivers side front Inner guard (enough for you to gain access to remove grommet, My D22 is lifted so you may or may not have to remove tyre)
UPDATE: you do not necessarily need to remove inner guard liner, I just did the job on another D22 and was able to connect a draw string under the dash to the antenna cable drag it through, then connect it to the new antenna cable and draw it back through that way. unfortunately I was unable to properly get the grommet to sit correctly but I just left it...)

4. Pull Cable and Grommet though from the inner guard.
IMG_1052_zps7f91b507.jpg

IMG_1060_zpsd862aab8.jpg

5. Remove Drivers Windscreen wiper (12mm, perhaps mark as it is on a spline, your choice)

6.Remove top antenna grommet around old antenna.

7. Lift Bonnet and Lift up lower windscreen panel (unclips up with a small pull)
IMG_1064_zps455ece15.jpg

8. Remove 10mm bolt from antenna assembly.

9. Remove antenna.
IMG_1049_zpsb6f01766.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1053_zps084bf3fe.jpg

10. Reverse for install.

11. Photo showing antenna cable through to drivers kick panel:
IMG_1067_zps6bb0751a.jpg

12. Photo showing completed.
IMG_1066_zpsbcca0655.jpg

P.S. a good light helps lighting up everything like a Christmas tree, when you are trying to find where the hole is in the inner guard and in the dash put the light on the other side so you "can see the light" :D
IMG_1059_zps40143e69.jpg

P.P.S do not cut antenna extension with the expectation you are about to replace it with the new antenna cable, unfortunately I did as I did not realise there was an extension cable. Good for you and me a replacement 1m extension cable is only $6 from supercheapauto.
IMG_1063_zps45d8b1ef.jpg

Hope this helps someone at some stage.

Cheers all,
Evan

Great write up. But I'll add an alternative.

1) glue broken antennae in the closed position

2) by any after market generic antennae you like

3) mount to bullbar and plug into radio

I did it your way twice and broke it again each time.

Nice guide, i went another way, buy half decent stereo with USB, put music i actually like on USB stick, never listen to adds, wingers, moaners, morons, or every one else's idea of 'good music' again, and when you are sick of that (8 gig on random goes a long way) just swap the files out. also, i can answer my phone without having to pull over.

I tryed this bit couldn't find entry point up under dash, found it under wheel arch but mine is an 09 model Thai built, anyone done one are they different ?

Yesterday I took mine to a stereo place and decided to install a whip antenna on my bullbar making the telescopic PITA stock one on the pillar that gets ripped out while on tight tracks instead. Get way better reception localy. And regionally I think it will be way better. I'll be able to listen to Da ABC in Da bush on Da Wireless😀

Is this replacement aeropro antenna any better than the oem one? My antenna is fine but radio reception is shit house, ie as soon as I am on a highway I struggle to pick up any decent signal, I have an aftermarket kenwood CD player fm radio I assume its mainly the antenna which is limiting my reception. Is the aftermarket version attach the bullbar a better idea for better reception?

So i am thinking of also replacing my antenna with one that mounts on the Bullbar...
What has everyone used?

I did this on my 12 Thai built D22. What a PIA that was. .
Remove wheel and inner guard Take the whole thing out as it is easier to put back in.
Remove windscreen wiper 12mm and shroud ( careful the clips break easily).
Remove the 10mm bolt holding the antenna.
Remove the antenna lead with the grommet.
Go inside vehicle and remove the underside of the dash under the steering wheel 2 screws left hand side and a clip on the right hand side next to the steering wheel assembly.
Remove the engine warm up switch cable.
Remove the accelerator pedal assembly 2 X10mm nuts inside 1 x 14mm in the engine bay just under the brake booster. Place a rag under the bolt so it doesn't drop into the engine bay. If you have one a magnetic pick up is a handy gadget to have. ( I know)
The antenna coupling on mine was up inside the noise padding. I got a pair of long handled pliers to pull the padding away and was able to plug the plugs together. Leave it hanging out from the noise padding just in case.
Put everything back together.

Tools 10, 12, 14mm sockets, Deep wall for the accelerator pedal nuts. Long flat blade screwdriver to put the grommet back into the car body
Looooong nose pliers to hold the noise padding.
A lot of patience and gloves there are a lot of sharp edges under the dash. The pictures help but the antenna bollun? was hidden from view. You need to get your hand up under the dash to find it. It is a lot easier with the throttle plate removed ( 3 screws and a connector.) If you have young kids their hands are smaller so get them to do the job. :)

John

I have found over the years that the short black non telescopic ‘whip’ antennas get better reception and harder to damage.

Latest posts

Back