iDRIVE - worth it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They won't do any more than simply pushing your foot down harder on the pedal. All they do is amplify the throttle input, so depending on the percentage you have it set up for, depends how much it amplifies it. Pretty much like adding an amplifier to a sound system. Same input level, but more output.

So, you could just drop the pedal to the floor everytime you drive and will achieve the same result.

Thanks! :thank_you2:

^ Which is pretty silly, when you think about it. You pay (whatever) so that something else can push your foot down a little harder (and a couple of milliseconds sooner). There's no change in tune and no change in top end output or engine efficiency.

Actually when you think about it, in a manual it should make fuel economy worse because it'd be opening the throttle more than needed for efficient acceleration. In an auto it may be different ...

I posted some time ago the difference in fuel consumption in my auto from 0-50km/h at a nominal 2,000rpm and at 2,500rpm (yes, only a minor difference but it's at a vital point in the rev range). You'd think that at 2,500rpm you're going to be using extra fuel - and yes, you will - but in the auto, the torque converter is right near its "stall speed", which is the point where the TC will not lose as many RPM in the transfer from engine to gearbox. The end result was that accelerating at 2,000rpm used less fuel but wasted so many RPM and took longer to get to 50km/h, so in the end used more fuel to achieve the same goal. The Windbooster/iDrive/whatever will actually assist by forcing your foot down harder and giving the same result.

The best advice I could give - use your own foot and save the $.

Ironically, my D22 uses less fuel using 3000 RPM on gear changes than if I drop to 2000 RPM on gear changes, where it actually uses slightly more fuel to cover the same distance. Which of course, proves your point.

It sounds like these gadgets are nothing special.

Really they are just making up for the manufacturers programming in lazy feeling pedal position maps. I had a D22 ZD30 some years back and the pedal mapping was just foul, leaving you feeling like it was much slower than it really was. I have a D23 now as my commuter and while it of course has around 100NM more than the D22 did, the way the pedal is mapped to torque demand makes it feel so much better that it is not funny, changing throttle position actually feels like it does something where the ZD30 was like a diesel from the bad old days.

I am just in the process of fitting a trick new ECU to my race car, one of the reasons I picked the one I did was the sophistication of the throttle mapping available to it, two cars with identical engines and different torque demand maps can feel like chalk and cheese.

Bluester - are you taking it to Challenge Bathurst? There are two types of events, Supersprint and regularity. Not the biggest fan of regularity (I could put my Navara in that) but the sprint will be exciting - you'd need a CAMS level 2 license. Info is here. I'll be one of the flag marshals for the entire event.

It probably goes without saying that a race car needs a different fuel map, and that might even change on different circuits. I know Mt Panorama needs a LOT of full throttle, in particular the climbs, but you'd also need some very fine upper-throttle control negotiating the Esses and down into the elbow (after which it's flat strap into the Chase).

Not this year (The car will be lucky to see the track again this year, time and money and all that) but I would love to do Challenge Bathurst sooner or later. I would need a different diff ratio though, the one I have at the moment would be far too short.

The race car really makes you appreciate throttle adjustability. My car has a very touchy LSD (Built be me to be very effective as I was tired of one wheel wheelspin) and in very slow corners with a standard cable throttle it is very tricky to keep it unlocked so that the car steers nicely. Custom throttle mapping should allow me to build in a virtual dead zone where throttle movement produces just enough torque to know there is something happening to finesse the LSD, but then rapidly ramping up to the full available torque as the pedal is moved more. Even better is the ability to select between different mappings on the fly.

I can see a lot of fiddling in my future (I am a techo at heart so I love this stuff)

Latest posts

Back