Engine Light keeps popping up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibby

Reaction score
Hi Guys, recently joined and this is my first post. I have a 2008 Navara D40 V6 2WD manual which I bought about a month ago. The engine light keeps coming up, so I put a scanner on it and it comes up with code P1283 - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Lean Shift Monitoring Bank 2. I took it to the mechanic and same code came up on his scanner and he replaced the AF sensor. Withing 30 minutes of driving the light came back on. Took it back and he replaced the O2 sensor. Same deal within half hour the light came back on. He checked for any air leaks but could not find any. He reckons that the ECU might need to be replaced but I'm not convinced. It drives fine but the light is annoying. Any ideas/advice will be much appreciated!!

not sure on your engine but you may have 2 x sensors that will cause this issue. 1 is the MAF sensor and the other is the MAP sensor, the map sensor gets clogged up with soot and needs cleaning periodicly. you can buy this spray cleaner from supercheap etc etc, it is called MAP sensor cleaner. try it.

As above. The MAFS is in the back of the air intake hose just out of the air filter box, you should try cleaning it but be careful not to put anything solid in it - just spray electrical contact cleaner in it, let it dry then reinstall.

You might consider getting a bluetooth OBD adapter and an Android app like Torque so you can monitor some of the information about the engine, like MAFS flow, fuel flow etc. Yours will be different to mine, I've got a lot of experience with the diesels but my petrol vehicle is a flat-6 two-wheeler and is a bit old for these computer things.

We sometimes get a code like that when our SCV is playing up, but your car doesn't have that.

I'd be looking at electrical connections (including the battery terminals). Doing so costs you nothing. Take a plug apart, clean it if it looks dirty, put it back together. Concentrate on the engine ones of course, I doubt your headlight plugs will make a difference (go on, car, prove me a liar).

The big no-no with these cars (petrol or diesel) is pressure-washing the engine bay. It causes tiny bits of grit to push between electrical contacts forcing them open or at least erratic. Low pressure water to wash off degreaser is ok.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll try your suggesstion re MAFS and MAP and let you know if that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back