No power towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misspat43

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a 05 navara d22 zd30 motor I towed my very light 12ft tinny on trailer
But the thing dies going up hills like I get back to 60klms ,have replaced turbo ,her pipe as it was cracked,all vacum lines and hoses from turbo to manifold do i keep chucking money into this or is this normal for a zd30 as I was told they tow really good

Hi, how are you driving it? As in, what rev range are you driving up hills in?

How does it go when not towing?

I have no issues towing a 4.9m alumimium boat up and down the highway.

How does it go when not towing?

I have no issues towing a 4.9m alumimium boat up and down the highway.

Same here, no issues at all towing day in, day out, but mine's a YD25.

It tows dismantled trees around in my work trailer every week day & has towed a caravan & a camper trailer all over the country on holidays.

I hit the hill in 5th around 2500 rpm when it drops to 2000 I shift down a geae

to low of an rpm. zd30 in factory tune have a 3000-3500 power band.
2000 rpm is fine for cruising but with any load you want to be hitting at least 3000. with big loads , i used to tow 2.5 ton trailer plus 1 ton ute load, you need to hit the 3500rpm perfectly every time.

I hit the hill in 5th around 2500 rpm when it drops to 2000 I shift down a geae

Try driving it differently. Not thrashing it, but staying in 4th & holding the revs at about 3,000rpm. It'll feel like you can go up, but don't! If you change up to 5th, the result you're getting ATM will keep happening.

5th is an overdrive in a D22. You shouldn't tow with any car uphill in overdrive.

If you've done any dune driving, it's the same as that, but in 2H instead of 4L. Pick the best gear & stay in it :victory:

to low of an rpm. zd30 in factory tune have a 3000-3500 power band.
2000 rpm is fine for cruising but with any load you want to be hitting at least 3000. with big loads , i used to tow 2.5 ton trailer plus 1 ton ute load, you need to hit the 3500rpm perfectly every time.

I drop it back a gear and just let it rev to it nearly red lines to try and keep it at 80klm at least ,someone suggested maybe fuel pump timing is out as I don't no to much about the history of the vehicle other the he said he had the fuel pump replaced

certainly sounds like it.
if you have someone with a good code reader handy check the ICV% reading at idle.
i would check fuel filter, make sure no air is getting sucked into the fuel line.

if all that is fine you may need new injectors.
i think one sort of issue is that the ecu can adjust injection timing to account injector wear and adjust fueling to make it run smooth.

Howdy, yup it's all about reading the road and using the gears... mine gets better fuel economy left in fourth when towing, sits on about 3000+ at about 95klm ...

Yep, should not have to redline taking a tinny up a hill with the ZD30s, though I don't know how steep your hills are...
As Tweaks said the injector pump can be checked with a code reader, however an OBD2 reader, though it will plug in will not work on the Zd30. It needs a Nissan Consult reader

The hills are on new england highway heading from Tamworth to Newcastle and back will book it in to Nissan dealer and get it checked thanks for the help everyone

Latest posts

Back