D22 caliper brake upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have read that gu patrol calipers fit on a d22? Is there any point in fitting/upgrading to these? Going off bendix website the brake pads are almost identical in dimensions. Both are a twin piston? I feel like there would be bugger all brake performance increase between the two different calipers? Just asking to see if anyone has done it before.

Cheers
Shorty

The ABS will have perimeters set within the ECU. The pads are different, so I'm guessing that the sensors will be too?

Not sure what benefit you'd get from doing it? The stock brakes on a D22 are pretty good :)

If anything a rear disc conversion would be better, the drums on the back are the biggest downfall. The problem is, patrols run the handbrake on the rear of the transfer case so sorting that out would be a mission...

Yeah I was only talking about the front brake calipers. My D22 doesn't have and most abs sensor rings don't have anything to do with the caliper so I can't see that being a problem. I just think the brake caliper from the patrol is almost identical to the d22 so can't see there being any brake performance increase from it?

Shorty, the trick is to put some slotted rotors on your rig and give the stock caliper a FULL service - I bet you a dollar the bottom piston cups will be seazed..

I didn't look to see what your rig is and how many k's are on it ? If it's over a 100000 k's and the pistons haven't been out it will need it..

Also they use three types of caliper Grease lol yup 3, most shops won't but you should.. 1 for the piston cup install 2 for the guide pins and boots, and 3 for the back of the pads ... true storie ;)

You can also get master cylinder kits and that will help a lot, don't buy a complete after market master cylinder just get the seal kit...muuuuuuch cheaper

Not sure what benefit you'd get from doing it? The stock brakes on a D22 are pretty good :)

Never more obvious than when you take a hilux for a spin lol. It can seem a bit disconcerting until you get used to it.

Shorty, the trick is to put some slotted rotors on your rig and give the stock caliper a FULL service - I bet you a dollar the bottom piston cups will be seazed..

I didn't look to see what your rig is and how many k's are on it ? If it's over a 100000 k's and the pistons haven't been out it will need it..

Also they use three types of caliper Grease lol yup 3, most shops won't but you should.. 1 for the piston cup install 2 for the guide pins and boots, and 3 for the back of the pads ... true storie ;)

You can also get master cylinder kits and that will help a lot, don't buy a complete after market master cylinder just get the seal kit...muuuuuuch cheaper
Never saw this reply mate. I saw your other thread on your caliper rebuild so I'll look into that

Well mate my piston cups aren't siezed I don't think, however I will buy a seal kit from partsouq, and pull it apart and give it a good clean up. My passenger side slide pins had siezed so I wore down one pad completely. So I got new pads in now and then I couldn't get the pins out so got a new bracket off a d22 someone was wrecking with their pins. Will inspect the pistons when they are out changing seals but none of them have any cracking on their contact surfaces. Also my passenger side rotor had an area of heavy pitting so went ahead and replaced the rotors with oem dba rotors cos the old ones are the original, probably could have machined them but they would be very close to min tolerance for thickness.

Well mate my piston cups aren't siezed I don't think, however I will buy a seal kit from partsouq, and pull it apart and give it a good clean up. My passenger side slide pins had siezed so I wore down one pad completely. So I got new pads in now and then I couldn't get the pins out so got a new bracket off a d22 someone was wrecking with their pins. Will inspect the pistons when they are out changing seals but none of them have any cracking on their contact surfaces. Also my passenger side rotor had an area of heavy pitting so went ahead and replaced the rotors with oem dba rotors cos the old ones are the original, probably could have machined them but they would be very close to min tolerance for thickness.
I have seen people install R32/33? calipers on the front, they're a 4pot fixed caliper so some work needs to be done to fit. But with the extra clamping force thay do pull up very quickly.

I however would not modify brakes on a vehicle with ABS or TCS as it can cause issues due to different operation and capacity.

Latest posts

Back