D22 2.5l dump removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masooo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m guessing this has already been covered but I’ve tried searching for ages.
The car is a 2011 d22 2.5l
I’ve tried all day to get these bolts off of the dump pipe at the back of the turbo, I’ve had no luck. I’ve wd 40d the crap out of them got the blow torch on one of the more accessible ones but they aren’t budging, there isn’t enough room to use a break bar bar on the end of my ratchet. I’ve resorted to taking the entire turbo out. But it’s started to rain so I need to finish it tomorrow but before I do can some please enlighten me on an easier way? Or if there are any things I need to really look out for when taking the turbo out and putting it back in? Also just for note the rest of the exhaust is already out and the front wheel and rubber under the arch is removed for access.

Some help or a link to a guide would be very much appreciated :))

I didn't have a lot of trouble getting the bolts off the turbo when I did mine, from memory I think I used a 17mm spanner for one or two of them and another spanner on the end for more leverage. I think I managed to get the breaker bar on at least 2 of them.

You won't have any trouble getting it back in at least. That was the only trouble I had with mine. Trying to get the old dump pipe off and the new one on. Ended up having to drop the turbo from the manifold and push it down to get the old one out.

Slow and steady though, you don't want break any of them off...
I should also add, I have a 2010 d22. Did mine at 60k ish km from memory.

Last edited:
I cut my bar breaker bar down so I could get it in there but the more I tried the more the nut started to round

What sort of socket were you using? Normally those multipoint sockets are no good for getting tight stuff undone. The 6 sided sockets are better as they have more surface area to grab with.

good luck they are a bit@h to undo, penetrene is better than wd40 i think, but you need an impact socket(6 sided as mentioned) i think heat carefully applied would help too, cheers (((-;

I couldn’t fit my socket on there I had a kink chrome spanner on the end and it started rounding on the inside of that as well, few more bolts and il have the turbo out so hopefully il have more luck.
Might have to invest in some of those 6 sided sockets!

Fair enough, good luck. There's only 3 bolts turbo to manifold, but then you have coolant and oil lines to get off too.

Nah you shouldn't do, if the motor hasn't been started for a while the oil will have drained back to the sump anyway. I'm not sure on the feed lines on these, the drain is a fairly big pipe off the bottom, but I can't remember if it's flexible or not. I've never had mine all the way off so can't really help anymore. All I can say is there's not much room in there...

typically its easier to take turbo off then take dump pipe off.
the studs are titanium and they have a real nasty habit of picking up on the threads.
some as you get it to move, gets some wd40 or cutting fluid in there and work it back and forth to get it down the thread, before trying to undo it.

Got the turbo out, after getting the misses to hold it down I finally managed to crack all the bolts. Is it alright to spray my turbo out with some degreaser and wash it out after? Or is it pointless? She’s coverd in black soot and oily gunk

Good stuff. You can probably give the inlet a wipe with a very clean rag, but I wouldn't be spraying anything inside there to get the oil out. I wouldn't worry about the soot on the exhaust side, that will stay the same as it is now anyway.

Sweet I’ll do that, just put a 80 series air box in so that plus a 3” exhaust should be a bit of a power up��

Playtime auto parts, mild steel. Cheap but I just gave it a couple extra coats of high heat paint.

For future reference the 2 aluminium pipes going from side of motor to the turbo that feed oil are a bchh to line up

Should still be OK. Mine is an xforce, nothing overly special.

The main thing is it's done so you shouldn't have to do it again in a hurry haha.

Just gave gave it a test spin, the Ute drives like its a different car! Was only a small drive around the block but far out, and that turbo noise is something I won’t be getting sick of any time soon

Yep tell me about it haha. Nice job. Have you got a cat and mufflers or straight through?

Cat only, next job is moving my fuel filter and catch can so I can put the second battery back in

Sounds good. I think a few people on here have done it, I haven't got any room on mine under the bonnet anymore, I have a catch can and diesel pre filter in there too... It is good having factory dual batteries under the bonnet though. Just need a bit bigger engine bay haha

Latest posts

Back