Aftermarket Wheel / Tyre Size

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieMark

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm buying a D40 and am looking to get some wheels straight away.

My mechanic has a set of 20 inch wheels with 285/50R20 Coopers on his D40 and it looks great. I'm not into the whole low profile tyre look for 4wds but this looks great. He reckons the 50 profile is still fine for offroad and does quite a bit offroad stuff himself.

I get offroad myself but mainly beach stuff (Fraser Is, Noosa North Shore etc) and only occasionally do some bush driving but nothing extreme. I also carry some heavy loads in the tray (~500kg) a day or two each week for work.

Does anyone have any experience with a wheel / tyre combo like this? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Mark.

Don't bother if you're actually going to off road, those products are not fit for purpose.

what's not fit for purpose about it? tyre profile too low? As I said, I mainly do beach stuff but it can get pretty hectic sometimes on Fraser....

Is there a general consensus on what the largest diameter wheel for some offroad? 17 inch?

Thanks for any advice :)

When you air down the tires the more rubber you have the more foot print and give you have. If you buy a set of rims make sure they are load rated. And the bigger rim the hard it will be to find tires & a bigger hole in your pocket. I have 2012 d40 and I'm thinking of dropping down from the 17s to the 16 as more oppoistion in tires.

I run 16's for a few reasons,

there are far more choices of tyre for a 16" rim then just about any size bigger then that,

the price is also better,

when off road and especially on the sand you want the tyre to "bag out as much as possible to allow a wider footprint to give more traction and on sand the wider footprint will stop the ute from digging it self a hole to get stuck i, if you have done allot of beach driving im sure you know all to well what happens with high tyre pressures.

on rough terrain (rocks, ruts, tree roots, ect) the wheels are far higher then with only 50 profile and therefor less likely to sustain damage ect.

for me i just would never go that combo for any 4x4.

ok that all makes sense - great feedback guys. It might have looked good on my mechanics D40 but a no-goer for me it is then.

what's not fit for purpose about it? tyre profile too low? As I said, I mainly do beach stuff but it can get pretty hectic sometimes on Fraser....

Is there a general consensus on what the largest diameter wheel for some offroad? 17 inch?

Thanks for any advice :)

Sorry if I came across a little too direct, there's many reasons not to use that combo as covered by the other guys, I was in a hurry and wanted to turn you off the idea.

Talk to Oilad as he runs a big rim which he wore at the muster and did ok with them, he went pretty hard on them and no punchures or anything that i know of. How often do you go off road?? and how hard is your off roading?? let face it if your off once in awhile then why not get them if they become inadiquate then buy a spare set for the hard stuff. Other wise im sure they will be ok for what you use them for.

Side wall helps with cushioning on and off road! Bigger sidewall In this instance is def the best idea but if u dont go offroad much then u could prob save the cash and keep the 20s

Personally id go smaller and get the bigger sidewall as its far more practical as these are not sports cars that handle or go fast

Talk to Oilad as he runs a big rim which he wore at the muster and did ok with them, he went pretty hard on them and no punchures or anything that i know of. How often do you go off road?? and how hard is your off roading?? let face it if your off once in awhile then why not get them if they become inadiquate then buy a spare set for the hard stuff. Other wise im sure they will be ok for what you use them for.

This comment nailed it -

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I have narrowed my choice down to 2 different wheels but both in 17 inch. Much more practical overall.

Guys,

As they say steer clear of 20" unless you are posing - I run 265/70x17 Hancock LT's on the standard allow rims - Was told 16" have problem with caliper clearance - I have towed 2 tonne of caravan across the top of the Simpson Desert, Tanami Track, Gibb River Road down to Geraldton and back across the Great Central Desert and Streslecki Track - Did one tyre on the Great Central but that was because I was told the track was sandy and not rocky - Only aired down to 40psi (silly me) - Did the tyre on one of the newly graveled sections - The rest of the trip I aired down to 25 front, 30 rear, 30 caravan and had no problems - Big air bag tyres are the way to go on rocks or sand - Large OD is good and do not go too wide - I had put in a 40mm lift kit else I would have had clearance problems with these tyres

Latest posts

Back