Interesting Read on Wheels and Tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
Found this thought you guys might like a read, found it quite interesting.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

More specifically i found this within this document.

Minor changes to wheels
Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Replacement wheels requiring an engineering certificate

Wheels that exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by a signatory. If the
signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate.
The vehicle owner must notify the RTA so that registration records can be updated. This is done by obtaining an
“Adjustment of Records” and a “blue slip” from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS).
(contact the RTA Customer Service Centre on 13 22 13 for details of your nearest AUVIS).
The Adjustment of Records, blue slip and engineering certificate are then presented at a Motor Registry.
The owners copy of the engineering certificate is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the
vehicle. This certificate must be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the Police when requested.

There are limits on the size of wheels that can be certified by a signatory.
These limits are as follows:

Rear wheels
The maximum permitted rear rim width for a particular vehicle is determined by its unladen weight (10 litres of
fuel, no occupants or luggage) in accordance with the following tables:
Front wheels
Front wheels shall be:
• No wider than the maximum permitted for rear wheels on your vehicle or 204mm (8 inches).
• No narrower than 70% of that fitted to the rear wheels.
• No narrower than a standard wheel fitted to the your vehicle as original equipment.

Front wheel drive vehicles
Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, front wheel widths shall be no more than 26mm greater than the widest optional wheel offered by the vehicle manufacturer. This requirement also applies to fourwheel
drive vehicles with constant front wheel drive.

Four wheel drive vehicles
Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, the maximum width of front wheels is the lesser
of the maximum width for rear wheels or 204mm (8 inches), the front and rear wheel widths must be the same.

Additional requirements for replacement wheels
When wheels and tyres outside the manufacturers recommended range are fitted to a vehicle the following
requirements must be met:
• The wheel rim width must not be less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the
particular model.
• The wheel and tyre must be contained within the body work or mudguards (including any flares) when the
wheels are in the straight ahead position.
• The wheel and tyre must not foul any part of the body or suspension under all operating conditions.
• All wheels and tyres fitted to an axle must be of the same carcass construction, diameter, offset, width and
mounting configuration (except for spare wheels used in an emergency situation).
• The wheel must not prevent the wheel nuts from fully engaging their studs.
• The wheel rim must not have a circumferential weld other than that which attaches the rim to the wheel
centre.
• The wheel must be one designed for the particular hub/axle in respect to bolt pitch circle diameter and
wheel nut tapers. Wheels with slotted stud holes are not permitted.
• Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre and rim combination.
• The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face
and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

Retreaded tyres
NSW legislation requires that all retreaded tyres fitted to vehicles must comply with the provisions of Australian
Standard AS 1973 (1976, 1985 or 1993). Tyres retreaded after November 1999 must comply with the provisions
of Australian Standard AS 1973 (1993).
The standard requires among other things that the identity of the retreader, the words “RETREAD/REMOULD”,
“MAX. SPEED/SPEED LIMITED” and the tyres speed limit are permanently and legibly moulded on retreaded
passenger car tyres. The retreader identity may be provided either by the name, registered trademark or other
means, such as a code number assigned by the Motor Traders Association of NSW.
Speed limits for retreaded passenger car tyres are:
- 110 km/h for winter tread tyres
- 120 km/h for cross ply tyres
- 140 km/h for radial ply tyres

It's interesting that they say we can't go narrower than standard - I guess that's to keep stability and reduce road surface pressure.

It's also interesting about the general limits - 204mm - a lot of us are running 255 as standard (10 inch). We're allowed up to 26mm over that - so 281mm max (those 285s are out without a cert).

I'll say it again though - if you DO have something marginally outside the limits, and you're not drawing attention to yourself, you have little to worry about. I was pulled over by the police recently - random breath test (by a moving highway patrol car, not one of those roadside lineups). He had a quick look at the vehicle, no problems, moved on - I'm on standard sized tyres, 43mm lift at the front, 85mm at the rear when empty. He didn't even bat an eyelid, just did the test and thanked me for not drinking and driving and went on his way (Christ, do I look like an alco? :rofl2:)

A lot of that is common sense - no scrubbing, no protrusion beyond guards/flares and no spacers.

Odd there's no restriction on a change in offset - it only states that you must have all wheels with the same offset. That means you can change your offset (add flares to cover them) and it's legal? I ought to remind myself about the "no drawing attention" rule, but if it's legal to do, then a change of offset with some flares would not only look good, it'd make the car more stable off-road.

I'm running basically a zero offset from my brother 80 series, and the rubber is very marginally outside the flares, i have rubber flares at home but not put them on as its literally 10mm at most outside, been pulled over once or twice fr breath test, even had the senior officer state i had to remove my "cheese grater" from the bull bar, he looked briefly at the wheels (32`s) never said a word, it was 3am though.
Figured some may find this a good read.

I have not read the full article on the link but last time i read there was separate rules for commercial vehicles, some of which allowed a bigger increases for those vehicles.

Tyresize.jpg

There is not a lot of statements in there stating that its not possible or illegal more that if outside the stated guidelines then it needs to be reported to the RTA and certified by a qualified engineer. by the sounds of it you could do quite a lot but it has to be certified, which is hard that would mean either multiple trip to have it certified or purchase it all the add it the vehicle then have it certified all at once. that kinda sucks i think.

Latest posts

Back