Rear discs in a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
Hi all

Given the R51 Pathfinder and D40 are based on the same platform can the rear discs of a Pathfinder (easily) replace the rear drums on a D40?

Bosshog

rear brakes

had a quick look under a pathfinder 2 days ago only to find that they have independant rear end. i have read some wear on a american site i think? that they will fit straight on but who know what we get here in OZ.
after just doing 8000 klm towing an unbraked camper trailer around the middle of the country i am going to look into this as well because the rear brakes that are currently fitted are just for show i think. i
would rather spend the money for better brakes than go through that sphincter shrinking experiance again.:bike:

I was driving a couple of weeks ago towing the 180SX behind my Navara on a car trailer. Anyway about half trip the trailer brakes cable snapped.

So for 30km's all the braking was being done by the Navara brakes, disk front and drum rear did the braking easily. We called into some horse float trailer maker and got the cable replaced for about $10.

The rear brakes only really start working when the rear has weight put in it.

Dave.

after just doing 8000 klm towing an unbraked camper trailer around the middle of the country i am going to look into this as well because the rear brakes that are currently fitted are just for show i think.

Drum brakes cop an unfair amount of criticism. They are self sustaining, and perfectly effective, they just fade faster than discs. This should only be a concern in sports cars being driven hard; when towing a trailer the brakes shouldn't be used enough for them to fade, the engine should doing the majority of the long-duration braking.

Next service, get them to tighten the rear brakes a bit. Mine are a bit loose too.

In the U.S. the D40 has rear discs brakes.

It's a great marketing tool.

Whilst disc brakes are more advanced and better than drums, what I'm trying to say is the difference is overestimated. Properly tuned drums towing a trailer within the GVM will not cause you to have a sphincter shrinking experience. So if you want to do the swap, yes, it will make your Navara better and I'm all for that, but I don't think it's really worth it.

had a quick look under a pathfinder 2 days ago only to find that they have independant rear end. i have read some wear on a american site i think? that they will fit straight on but who know what we get here in OZ.
after just doing 8000 klm towing an unbraked camper trailer around the middle of the country i am going to look into this as well because the rear brakes that are currently fitted are just for show i think. i
would rather spend the money for better brakes than go through that sphincter shrinking experiance again.:bike:

if your trailer is pushing your rig to cause a sphincter shrinking experience then put brakes on your trailer and use them to save your rigs brakes
trailer brakes = win

The Frontier is fitted with disk brake rear end
yes all parts should bolt straight up
The thing is the Frontier gets 2 different diffs the M266 which is what we get and is a smaller version of the Titans diff and the smaller again C200.
The M266 also comes with an electronic solenoid locker in some models. Complete diffs will run about the 2k plus shipping

The Frontier is fitted with disk brake rear end
yes all parts should bolt straight up
The thing is the Frontier gets 2 different diffs the M266 which is what we get and is a smaller version of the Titans diff and the smaller again C200.
The M266 also comes with an electronic solenoid locker in some models. Complete diffs will run about the 2k plus shipping

how would you know if it's either one? i'd like to slip in an LSD with mine.

Look on the data card under your bonnet. The first letter of your axle code is the key for a rear diff, but put the whole code into Google and you will find your diff models and final drive ratio.

i work on trucks and a majority of trucks & trailers still run drum brakes all round. i see a few trailers (b-doubles) running disc brakes but they tend to suffer from cracking rotors & pad material probably caused by insufficient heat decipation due to lack of surface contact. disc brakes on truck front (steer) axles are becoming more common and seem to be lasting really well, but as previously mentioned, let the trailer do the work! apparently disc brakes are supposed to be the be all and end all but i am far from convinced. i'm glad my d40 has drum rear.

I find the drum brakes to be fine and if i wanted better braking i would simply change the front rotors out and install better units from Untitled Document

I will be doing this once my front rotors are worn. Yor car uses 80% of it's braking force using the front disc's.

Latest posts

Back