Rims and tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce

Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals

First forum post ever ! Hope it works ! Have a 2009 Dual cab D40.
In SA having trouble finding reasonably priced steelies and spare tyres.
Surely they're not as hard to find as everyone is telliing me, or is this ... Welcome to Nissan territory !

Please Illucidate !

Cheers Bruce

PS : Scuse my ignorance - what is a tag ? or a trackback ?
I have clicked on an emotive of a ? mark (in the assumption I am posting a question). ? or emotive seems an uncool / not done thing to do ? pl let me know.

My mood = inquisitive

Hi Bruce, welcome to the forums.

Don't worry too much about the forums stuff, if you do something wrong someone will let you know nicely.

I'm not up to speed on the D40 stud pattern or lack of aftermarket wheels, I do know that it's an odd pattern though. Someone with a D40 that has found some rims should be around soon.

Welcome to the forums ... nice choice of ride!

Just out of curiosity, why steelies?

I wonder what would happen if you met up with 4 D40 owners that wanted to replace their steel spare with an alloy ... you could do a direct swap and everyone would walk away happy!

G'day Bruce, I had the same trouble as you not long back. The trouble with the D40 is they have a different stud pattern to.... well everything else. There are a few joints that have alloys and mags for them but they cost a fortune. If you are after new steelies try either king wheels or dynamic wheels. Both offer a sunraysia style rim for around the $110 mark. I ended up getting 4 steel spares off a nissan wrecker in melbourne for $100 each, Maybe that could be an option for you?

26 inch rims WTF?
Might as well go back to the old school days with the massive timber wheels and a strip of rubber on the edging as grip.

Maybe you could get a set of muddies made for them and be the first in Oz to have 26 inch rims and muddies, seems that company is proud they ruined a Nav and Pathy buy just doing the rims.

Maybe you could get a set of muddies made for them and be the first in Oz to have 26 inch rims and muddies, seems that company is proud they ruined a Nav and Pathy buy just doing the rims.

Your gone hate me but i was actually looking at the mickey thompson rims range they have and was considering buying a 18 or 20 inch rims for the nav, why, because they also have the mtz to fit on those rims and it looked the goods, i want my sunny's to have some huge rubber such as simex and only use it as a 4b playing tyre, but i still want muddies as an everyday tyre cos of all the bush driving and camping i do. Dont know what il do yet, because i always said i would never fit big rims on a 4b.

Your gone hate me but i was actually looking at the mickey thompson rims range they have and was considering buying a 18 or 20 inch rims for the nav, why, because they also have the mtz to fit on those rims and it looked the goods, i want my sunny's to have some huge rubber such as simex and only use it as a 4b playing tyre, but i still want muddies as an everyday tyre cos of all the bush driving and camping i do. Dont know what il do yet, because i always said i would never fit big rims on a 4b.

20 still isnt 26 but I've seen some of your pics 26 inch rims on your D22 would make for a hell of a ride in some of the places you've gone.

I'll drag this back up.
Looking for a set of weekend tyres.
Whilst the Bridgestones fitted from the factory have impressed me with more ability than I would have credited them I have found some limitations. First of all they have not got any side lugs and simply refuse to climb out of the smallest rut with the front and tend to send the rear sliding into them because they just cant hang on. Secondly they are a bit noisy when the vehicle becomes a day to day highway hack. As such I am looking for a set of rims and aggressive tyres for weekend playtime. When the originals are worn out will go to a Highway tread for day to day use.
I discovered a tyre yesterday fitted to a D21 called "Mongrels". Apparently they are a set of re-moulds manufactured here in Victoria but alas the company went belly up in Aug last year. They were essentially a copy of the Simex centipede tread and they certainly look like they do the business. So back on the hunt for a tyre. Considering the Maxxis Bighorns - not nearly as aggressive - or a set of genuine centipedes. Will keep the standard tyre size or maybe go up to 265 75 if it doesn't cause too much grief in the clearance department.
Now question time.
If I was looking for a set of rims on E-bay what is the PCD and offset on the D22 for a set of Sunny's - Solid perhaps you could duck outside, scrape the crap off and read the code when you get a chance?
We have done tyre diameter to death in other areas but if I was to come across a set of tyres what would be the largest width that could be fitted to a 7" rim legally
Overall to buy new tyres and rims for this exercise I am looking at over 1200 beer tokens and whilst I'm going to kill it in overtime in the next 6 weeks I am considering spreading it out by purchasing through one of the large tyre networks to receive 12mnth interest free. Has anybody had any experience with these programs? Any traps in the fine print?
Overtime moolah is to pay for new suspension, snorkel and bars and that is why I am looking to maximise the spending power.
Any other recommendations for a serious, single minded, tyre that will only ever be used offroad? Onroad ability is negligible as they will travel to and from the forest and will be treated within they're limitations in the same way I treat the AT's and their limitations offroad.

Cheers and happy weekend to ya's

I'll drag this back up.
Looking for a set of weekend tyres.
Whilst the Bridgestones fitted from the factory have impressed me with more ability than I would have credited them I have found some limitations. First of all they have not got any side lugs and simply refuse to climb out of the smallest rut with the front and tend to send the rear sliding into them because they just cant hang on. Secondly they are a bit noisy when the vehicle becomes a day to day highway hack. As such I am looking for a set of rims and aggressive tyres for weekend playtime. When the originals are worn out will go to a Highway tread for day to day use.
I discovered a tyre yesterday fitted to a D21 called "Mongrels". Apparently they are a set of re-moulds manufactured here in Victoria but alas the company went belly up in Aug last year. They were essentially a copy of the Simex centipede tread and they certainly look like they do the business. So back on the hunt for a tyre. Considering the Maxxis Bighorns - not nearly as aggressive - or a set of genuine centipedes. Will keep the standard tyre size or maybe go up to 265 75 if it doesn't cause too much grief in the clearance department.
Now question time.
If I was looking for a set of rims on E-bay what is the PCD and offset on the D22 for a set of Sunny's - Solid perhaps you could duck outside, scrape the crap off and read the code when you get a chance?
We have done tyre diameter to death in other areas but if I was to come across a set of tyres what would be the largest width that could be fitted to a 7" rim legally
Overall to buy new tyres and rims for this exercise I am looking at over 1200 beer tokens and whilst I'm going to kill it in overtime in the next 6 weeks I am considering spreading it out by purchasing through one of the large tyre networks to receive 12mnth interest free. Has anybody had any experience with these programs? Any traps in the fine print?
Overtime moolah is to pay for new suspension, snorkel and bars and that is why I am looking to maximise the spending power.
Any other recommendations for a serious, single minded, tyre that will only ever be used offroad? Onroad ability is negligible as they will travel to and from the forest and will be treated within they're limitations in the same way I treat the AT's and their limitations offroad.

Cheers and happy weekend to ya's
Have a look at the silverstone tyres, they have a simex copy, pretty hard to beat for their price.

Welcome to the forum mate.

Go and see Darren at Total Traction Tyres on O'sulivans beach road at Lonsdale.
He will do you a good deal on whatever you are looking for.

I bought my rims from him about 2 years ago and charged me about $90-$100 a rim.

All up 6 steel sunrayias & 6 mickey thompson mtz 265 / 75 / 16 cost me $2480.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back