2.5 Litre EGR Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahooody

Reaction score
Just did the egr blanking plate on my 09 d22 2.5cr str. So far no engine light has got more low down power so for all you 2.5cr's out I suggest you just do it just plate it and off you go.

So all you did was block off the egr at either the turbo or the inlet side?
On my 2008 there is no solenoids to re- plumb like the earlier models, but I'm not sure what the device is at the end of the egr tube on the inlet side as it goes back into the intake manifold, has maybe four wires going into it?
Got any pics to put up?

Nah no pics ATM but that's is exactly the same as mine I just blocked it off near that device. I was thinking it is some sort of electronic valve

I just did mine, 2010 D22 ST-R, except blocked it on the exhaust side of the EGR Cooler.

Had to remove the battery to get to the pipe on the EGR Valve Control which leads to the EGR Cooler. Removing that made it a hell of a lot easier to install the blocking plate, which I made out of .5mm aluminium.

Installed pic below.

IMG_3312.JPG

After doin the egr I can't see smoke thru headlights behind me at night anymore another good reason for people to do this mod

thats the problem with EGR, it generates more soot, hence the need for DPF's.
the more EGR you use the amount of soot goes up a LOT more.
running on crap fuel compounds the problem even more.

EGR is primarily used to reduce combustion chamber temperatures, this reduces the formation of nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides contribute to smog and acid rain.

So your cylinder temps should be higher as everything inside it is now combustible.

I'm not sure how much higher, you'd have to measure before and after mod temps with a pyro to get a good idea.

more combustion = more power + better fuel acconomy.

Ive done this mod and dont give a shit what anyone says, its the best mod going.
Less smoke, Heaps better throttle responce, heaps better fuel acconomy, cooler inlet temps.

Funny how you have a intercooler after the turbo to cool the air down, only to mix it with hot exhaust gas before it goes into the engine...:hmmmm2:

Ha ha, ease up cowboy, no-ones denying it's a good mod.

Even though you can increase nitrogen oxide emission, you reduce soot, carbon monoxide/dioxide & hydrocarbons. You also reduce the acidity of the engine oil.

As for the intercooler, you reduce the temps of gases entering an engine to fit more in, be it charge air or EGR gases, yes the EGR has a cooler too.

Ha ha, ease up cowboy, no-ones denying it's a good mod.

Even though you can increase nitrogen oxide emission, you reduce soot, carbon monoxide/dioxide & hydrocarbons. You also reduce the acidity of the engine oil.

As for the intercooler, you reduce the temps of gases entering an engine to fit more in, be it charge air or EGR gases, yes the EGR has a cooler too.

cowboy! ha ha ha!! Im no cowboy, i just ride bulls! :victory:

Egr cooler runs on engine coolant, so the coolest exhaust gas will ever get is 80 deg!

ive seen 2 deg air inlet temp on my scan gague.

True, but that would still be reducing it from 4 to 500-ish. I doubt it would ever get to the 80's.

I think the lowest I've seen on my scangauge is 8.

Following on from Tweak'es post:

The EGR volume control valve remains close under the following conditions.
• Engine stopped
• Engine starting
• Low engine coolant temperature
• Excessively high engine coolant temperature
• High engine speed
• Accelerator pedal fully depressed

The manual also gives the following system description:

This system controls the flow rate of EGR led from exhaust manifold to intake manifold. The opening of the
EGR passage in the EGR volume control valve changes to control the EGR flow rate. A built-in DC motor
moves the valve continuously corresponding to the ECM output signal. The EGR volume control valve control
position sensor detects the valve position and sends the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current
opening angle of the valve from this signals and the ECM controls the DC motor to make the valve opening
angle properly.
The opening of the valve varies for optimum engine control. The optimum value stored in the ECM is determined
by considering various engine conditions.

So is there any benifit to blocking it at the inlet or exhaust side or should I just pick the easiest place to get too?

ideally at exhaust end and at manifold end. less exhaust gas goes up the less heat the cooling system has to handle. also the less volume for exhaust and inlet gases to occupy.

Initial observations are definately less smoke, better low down power and smoother engine response/acceleration. I have just topped up with fuel so I will have some fuel figures when I go through this tank.

I blocked mine off at the exhaust end of the EGR cooler like hadricus, while I had it off I took a pic of the end of the cooler.

IMG_0736Medium.jpg

Jason did you just make up an aluminium plate simular to what one of the other guys did? Mine is an 09 model with only 33k on the clock so a little hesitant to do mod, but if everyone else to date thinks it is helping and not hindering my engine then why not?

Latest posts

Back