Dashboard Lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equipt, what leds did you use, were they like these?javascript:;

I had similar issues with the console lights in my other car, i ended up using jaycar dome leds ($2) but drilled the tops out to convert them into concave (like the ones in link^) which actually spreads the light instead of a mini spot beam.
Im thinking about doing the led conversion, but if youv already done this and it didnt look right i wont bother, cheers.

I was pretty keen on LED myself as I changed the dash globes in my 1995 manual xr6 to the 3 globe on 1 wedge-tail, spread beam and that worked wonders! However for just the speedo and Rpm gauge alone there was 6 globes so it worked out good, in the Navara only having two up the top is pathetic. Not even the standard halogen globes can spread far enough to reach the bottom of the cluster fully.

Equipt, what leds did you use, were they like these?javascript:;

I had similar issues with the console lights in my other car, i ended up using jaycar dome leds ($2) but drilled the tops out to convert them into concave (like the ones in link^) which actually spreads the light instead of a mini spot beam.
Im thinking about doing the led conversion, but if youv already done this and it didnt look right i wont bother, cheers.

The ones I used where just like these ones.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-X-T5-3...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a25f02f1

It was about 12 months ago and there are quite a few more led globes available now that will fit so I am sure you can probably find something that will spread enough to give a reasonable spread of light across the whole dash.

I know this is pretty old but I am going through the same thing with my 05 d22..

So do these bulbs actually come out? I have tried and tired and they are really jammed in there should i persist?

The other thing is I have taken a close look at the bulb holders and they are not your average ones. Usually the contacts for the pcb board and on the outside however the D22 has them on the inside so I think thats why nissan want like $45 for a new one or so people say they must be some kind of specific made part.

puma ive had a play around with my dash lights and the easiest way i found getting the lights out is with a very small flat head screw driver like a jewellers one, put it in the side and pop it out

Ok thats great I will give that a go. At least they can be removed. I was trying for a while to get them out without luck I thought they might have been fixed in there some how. I will give it another go tomorrow.

I suppose if i break the bulb too I can always just pick it out bit by bit with some tweezers or something.

revisiting this old thread - what is the go with the holders? are they a 5 cent coin type thing that quarter turns into the instrument cluster?

if so, would this type of bulb do the job (replacing both the bulb and holder)??

http://bit.ly/1aKQJ0h (Ebay link)

Last edited:
Figure I'll post in here instead of making a new thread.

Just purchased an 09 STR D22 TDi and when I turn the lights on, there are no dash lights. I had a look in the fuse box and can't find anything to do with it in there.

Would the globes be blown? Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers.

Doubt they are blown, as far as I'm aware the new models have LED's standard... You will probably find you have no tail or parking lights either. Look at the tail light fuse first....

Doubt they are blown, as far as I'm aware the new models have LED's standard... You will probably find you have no tail or parking lights either. Look at the tail light fuse first....

Cheers man, just checked and it was the taillight fuse.

I had police following me earlier and never got pulled over :rofl2:

I can remember a time when I always wanted blue LED instrument illumination, looks awesome....until we owned a Hyundai Santa Fe....it was the worst! Long drives on the open road would give me endless headaches and it was actually difficult to see the road properly, despite having driving lights etc.(and my eyesight is fairly good) On top of that, the dimmer circuit wouldn't reduce it to a comfortable level, had to modify the circuitry in the end.

Anyway, there is a little bit of science behind it all...
Turns out blue light effects our ability to adjust to proper night viewing(switching from the eyes cones to rods), on the flipside they are good at keeping you awake...but so is coffee.

I don't think I'll go back to blue but perhaps red LEDS since our eyes are less sensitive to that spectrum at night ;-)

well, i now have a super clear dash at night, so bright compared to stock!!

i used a combination of these bulbs and the holders from these bulbs - the red LED's just pull out, leaving a fresh socket for a couple of cents.

the result looks like this:
4hQMmzMl.jpg

pretty happy with the results!

Last edited:
Good job, looks good, I just purchased of the links you provided . Im a bit over having no dash lights!

LED's

Be careful when looking for T5 LED's as the actual sizing for the globes on the instrument cluster is T6.5, I have gone through a few different manufacturers and the T5 globes fit pretty loosely and after a while the globes come free. BL LED Optronics have the T6.5 LED globes in 5 different colours. I have ordered these this week, I'll post some pics after I've installed tehm.

Glad I found this thread as the dash lights on my 2003 D22 are hopeless.
So here's my dumb question. If I replace with LED globes, do I need to do anything else ? or just pop them in.
Do I need the T5 or T6.5 ?
And what colour globe is best for long distance driving at night without being blinded by the dash.

cheers
Oldie

t6.5 i'm not sure about.
i recall years ago i measured the stock ones as T5. thats what i fitted in mine and have had no problem with them being loose.
i've just blown one of the bulbs and they are out of stock of the t5 so i may try the t6.5.

the light is crap due to the bulbs silvering up. 3w t5 are a little hard to find, maybe a reason for that.
blinded by the dash .....LOL. usually you can't get the dash bright enough!
but i find red or orange best for night driving. used to have interior light as red as we do some work at night and i got sick of being blinded by the interior light every time the door opened.

leds are a little tricky, pay to check with how the guys above ones have worked.

what makes it difficult is there is only two bulbs and a light spreader arrangement. so you need led's that are sideways firing.

Latest posts

Back