265/75/16 on a D22 - Want answers? Use this thread.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
Man this website is gettin addictive!
Scottybobcat wants to take me out 4b ing so gotta make sure my tyres are up to scratch.
Would 265 75 16's work in a stock D22?
Have heard it can make them a bit slow down low?
I'm currently running BFG at's 265 70 16 but only need to replace 2 so I think the obvious move is just to keep the same..... unless I find a cheap set on eBay!!
Cheers guys!

Hi i put Bridgestone M/T 673 265 75 r16 on my d22 when dropping in when off road the front tyre only just scrubs out on the plastic mud flap. You could cut a bit of the mud flap off but why bother its only plastic.>>>

I've tried BFG MTZ KM2s, 265/75/16 on my ute standard height, with rims off a patrol that had an offset that had the tyres sticking around 2" out of the guards, so this caused it to hit the back of front guards while turning. Since then, I've gotten a 2" suspension lift. Tried the tyres again, they only just hit like 1mm when turning, (cutting plastic would fix this) but what worries me, is when I am 4x4s, putting one front tyre up a bank or something while turning (nearly on lock), and it'll smash up in the guard and grab or wreck something.
I then tried the same tyre on my spare steel rim (same offset as standard st-r alloy), this made it alot better but still just makes contact ever so slightly when one wheels up a bank on lock. The tyre i tried was at probably 25%... so new tread would hit definately..

What is the go here, how does everyone get 265 75s on without any dramas? Is there a way to bring the wheel closer to the bullbar so it cant hit?
Or is it the rims i am using? Is there a certain type of steely to get to help the nav situation???

Cheers Dan.

Last edited:
My contribution to the sticky:

These are my thoughts and observations - and I expect there will be varying thoughts..

265/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ.

King steel wheels with +20 offset - 16x8.

Currently wearing EFS Heavy duty torsion bars and rear springs. They did fit with OME medium springs and the stock bars wound up - no worries.

Cut away the box section of the front mud flap to ensure clearance - very easy to do with a sharp knife.

Tyres fit with plenty of room.

Economy reduced from about 600km per tank to 550 - these are approximates only as I never let the tank get too low.

Slight reduction in power - only really noticed in 2WD or high range 4WD when taking off - particularly on a hill. Otherwise barely noticeable.

Noise increase is noticeable but you get used to it quickly - infact a normal car is too quiet for me! (I have had muddies on all 3 of my 4WD's). The noise does increase as the tyres wear. Mine have done 32k since May 2010 and are still going strong. They have a few small pieces missing but thats what happens when you go off road, especially on rocky stuff. Side walls are like new.

My original plan was to keep the stock wheels & tyres and change them over when going off road but I have never done it and I doubt I will.

Are they worth it - YES INDEED. I found the transformed the Nav when off road. It's about what compromises you are prepared to make for a better off road Nav.

If I wasn't having muddies I would go with the Mickey T ATZ 4 rib.

See some pics in my http://www.navara.asia/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1553

Last edited:
What are they like on full lock with the tyre up a bank or something?

I haven't noticed any scrubbing and certainly no damage. Some guys use zero offset which means they sit out further and might foul the guard.

Having said that, I try to avoid having the vehicle fully flexed up on full lock - too unstable.

Yeah fair enough. And you have the +20 Offset... do they sit out of the guards at all? Cant tell much from your pics. Yours looks much like one in a few issues ago of 4WD Action... looks real good mate.

Last edited:
Yeah - it freaked me out a bit seeing that one in the mag - it is a nicely set up D22.

They sit almost level with the guards - these pics gives a better look.

Attachments

• DSCF6877.jpg
    DSCF6877.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,122
  • VNOG Dec 2010 020.jpg
    VNOG Dec 2010 020.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,714
Not exactly sure of the offset of the patrol rims i tried, i think they must be the next offset down (0) from yours... the tyres stick out a bit more than yours... probably too much, i'd be happy with the look of yours

Heres a pic showing the gap between tyre (prob 25% remaining) and guard, that is with whole mudflap removed, tyre up a bank:
14012011255.jpg

This pic shows how far the tyres stuck out... havent got any from the front sorry.

01112010227.jpg

They definately stick out more than yours hey?

Last edited:
They do stick out more than mine - that would be the wheel offset.

These are pics of mine on level ground.

Attachments

• DSCF7552.jpg
    DSCF7552.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 740
  • DSCF7553.jpg
    DSCF7553.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 610
Re: 265/75/16 on a D22 ? Want answer's, use this thread.

Im running 265/75/r16 maxxis bighorns on 16x8 Avanti alloys with a +25 offset, the front ones scrubs like a mofo just when mounting curbs and the like. Shes got 2" OME lift under her with H/D EFS springs in the rear. Which way should i take the offset to get less scrub?

And i saw some 305/65/r17's yesterday... Whats the chance of fitting them under a Nav?

hey mate im runnin 265/75/16 BFG at's, only notice around 50km's less to a tank an power loss is minimal. The difference the bigger tyres make is well worth it. As everyone else has said jus cut the inside of the mudflaps and its no worries.

Yeah ok, but it's just the black plastic you have to go through? That bit where it joins and it suddenly sticks in to the arch about 20-30mm where the mudflap joins. If that makes any sense and is the bit it shouldn't cause you too many dramas, I've spoken to a few guys that have done it... fingers crossed I'll be doing the same tomorrow. Did you get more bighorns?

behind the plastic is metal, plastic is only like 3mm thick and then i got to start bashing some metal or grinding little bit off

Lasoya, if u look at the inside top section of the mudflap a piece comes out into the arch, cut this section off an you'll hav no problems. i cant see why you'd need to cut away any metal or panel? easy as with a sharpe knife and it wont look any different when its done. mine cleares with plenty of room with stock suspension, recently put a 2" lift on and it doesnt even come close to scrubbing. hope this helps

Latest posts

Back