Lost a wheel at 100kph

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazaster

Reaction score
Very exciting times! Somehow lost 4 nuts off the front left wheel and snapped the 2 remaining studs (don't know how as i know id done them up tight last time the wheel was off and have done 5000k + since).
Thought i was feeling a little extra vibration through the steering wheel and was intending to pull over in the town that was 5min up the road to check things when the ute shuddered a little, went clunk and floated for a bit and then really did go clunk/shudder as the front corner touched the road and i saw the wheel bouncing along beside me into the grass.
I crash landed to the side of the road, retrieved the wheel duct taped it back on and limped to my fav cuz/mechanic.

Now replacing the front discs (doing both just for shits and giggles), all the stud bolts and the ball joint (half the bottom nut is now part of the road).

Attachments

• 20170924_133038.jpg
    20170924_133038.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 212
Ooooh nasty... The left side have a tendency to undo themselves as the forward motion of the wheel is the loosening direction of the nuts. Seems strange that they came off after that sort of distance, unless someone was playing silly buggers with you...

Might need a camera watching the ute then as a couple of months ago i did an oil change and forgot to lock and alarm it after. Next day went to play in the mud and on the drive out i lost a 1/4tank of fuel cos somehow the forward nut that the fuel line feeds into the injector pump had come loose and was half out spewing fuel everywhere. I wouldn't have thought that was a likely nut to randomly come loose either.
It did make me wonder if that was a possibility, even more so now. If someone has messed with it they could have killed myself and/or someone else when the wheel came off.

Sounds Smelly

Go see your Bank Manager, explain your problem, then ask him for some of
that spray paint they use on "money Notes", if they have problems with a set
of "Quick Fingers", and spray it in likely places under your Bonnet or Wheel nuts
and see if you get any results, It has certainly worked before!

Otherwise, watch your back,
Heads up!

highway man!:shotgun:

common reason for wheel nuts coming loose is dirt on the wheel (especially spare wheel). dirt eventually works its way out and wheel goes loose.
or nuts are done up that are dry or a bit dirty. that means it takes more effort to do them up tight enough. i've had it when a nut tightened up but was only half way on the thread. bit of dirt or rust will do it.
hence these days i grease all the threads.

Always used a good quality tension wrench to tighten wheel nuts on a clean hub face. Tighten wheel nuts do it in the right sequence and if time allows even progressive steps of tension. It will just about garantee the will never loosen.

Latest posts

Back