Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

hey fellas

i am starting to have some dramas with my 09 d22. Everytime i start it it makes a horrible ticking sound coming from the front of the motor. It is in sequence and in time with the engine rev and rotation. i was thinking my timing chain is about to pack it in or could it be injectors starting to wear out?

it may even be the fact that it is on cold starts. It is very noticeable on first start of the morning and it eventually goes away after a long drive. Its getting me a bit on edge as to whther i really wanna keep driving it around.

Only recent changes are an oil change which i changed the oil i am using and i have changed the tunes on the cipit module for some fuel usage testing. The ticking was there before i changed the tune and i cant remember if it was there before i changed the oil.

how do i know if its a timing change ensioner or something?
Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Mate,

As u might remember I had mine rebuilt by the Nissan dealer under warranty but have experienced the same thing. I'm stuffed if I can identify the sound but I'm sus of the hydraulic tensioner. I had a 10w 50 oil in it and it started ticking again. I dumped it n brought magnatec and it all went away.

Stepho_62

2008 Nissan Navara, ST R D22 CR, Genuine Nissan Canopy, ARB Bullbar, Ironman Leaves/T/bars, Bilstein Shocks, 2.75" Beaudesert Exhaust, OEM Nissan Snorkel, Hella Driving Lights.

Nil Illegitemi Carborundum

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

I think I might opt to change the oil out for the nulons 5-30 diesel fully synthetic oil I was originally using. I think I remember it ticked for a very short period and it went away. I have heard that these yd25 motors need a thinner based oil so the hydraulic tensioner activated properly rather than waiting for the oil to warm up first.

If this doesnt work (which it should) I will be giving yd25.com.au a ring and finding out about the duplex timing chain kits and getting it fitted.

Rusty

Old 26-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Hi Hodge, I know this is an old thread but I have the exact scenario as you describe in the original post. Changed the oil and filter 2 days ago, now that random ticking noise had started. Just wondering did you ever find the culprit?

Old 26-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

brad, when you changed the oil and filter did you use the exact same oil and same filter ??

Old 26-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Hey Jonney, yeah, always penrite oil and a genuine nissan filter...

Old 27-10-2018, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

was it the same weight engine oil ? as in 5w-30 last time and 5w-30 this time ??

Old 27-10-2018, 04:02 AM

I had the same noise when I used fully syn 5W. I tow heavy loads with the Ute daily & change the oil & filter every 4-5K.

Next oil change I went with semi syn 10W & the noise went away and hasn't come back.

I have no idea if it was just loud & causing no damage, but it sounded awful.

Old 27-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Yep, I have been using 10w-40 each time... I drove around a bit today and the noise didn't surface, will keep an ear out for it over the next few days and report back...

Old 29-10-2018, 01:35 PM

I have kept an eye on it over the last couple days and the ticking has returned but is louder during some drives than others. Definitely not timing chain noise as I have been there and done that, and the timing chain was replaced about 10,000k's ago. The noise is from near the top of the motor directly above the oil filter...
Going to look into the belts as I know they can get noisy but once again the sound isn't really coming from the front of the motor.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Also, does anyone know if the OP (Hodge) is still active on this forum or does anyone know him personally that could contact him on my behalf? The noise he describes in the OP sounds exactly the same and would love to know what the issue for him ended up being.

Cheers guys