Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

Old 21-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

christos, how many K,s on your navara ? I think the chain kit is around the 1500 mark and it is quite a big job to do going by what i have heard and seen on you-tube vids. normally when the timing chain or guides wear out or the chain starts to stretch you will hear an unusual noise coming from the front of engine , atleast this is a good indication that something needs to be checked asap . one good thing to do with your model is to change the engine oil and oil filter every 5k as this assures the oil is clean with no chances of any blockages in oil passage journals that could assist in a dry chain guiide etc etc.
Sponsored Links

Old 21-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Garage

Christos
mine is a march 2008 Japanese build. I had mine inspected at around 115ks and the chain tensioner was showing signs of wear and the chain had minor but definite signs of wear on a few links. Paul is very thorough. Paul did a mod to the tensioner that would prevent it from allowing too much slack in the chain. As mine is a long termer at around 130ks I had the dual row put in and had the tensioner replaced with a yd25 modified one. Not a cheap exercise on the 22 as the gearbox has to be moved back to allow the oil pan to drop. $3800 if I recall correctly but maybe the silly oil pan design was changed on the Thai built ones. I agree with oldtony about the tensioners my original was definitely on the way out and he replaced the replacement free after 50k as it was faulty. First one he had seen, lucky me. He checked the chain while he was at it and it was perfect.

Last edited by glennm; 21-10-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Old 22-10-2018, 09:15 AM

My Mood:

Hey Guys,

Jonney - i am bout to hit 50k on my Nav and looking to keep it for a while. The youtube vids i have watched looked like it could get a bit difficult at times and the yd25 website has a fitting time of around 20 hours for the D22 models. I have been changing oil around 8km mark but will definitely move it to 5k mark if it decreases the chance of timing chain issues. Haven't heard any weird noises, just trying to be vigilant and keep an ear out for worrying noises.

Glennm- think that i might look at getting it done around 100k like most timing chains get done and i wonder i if the gear box was moved in the Thailand mode. #### 3800, wow. Will have to give paul a call at yd25 and talk about options.

Thanks so much for your replies guys. this forum is so helpful. Chris

Old 22-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

50k is nothing on the clock and certainly nothing to worry about in regards to the timing chain failing.

Old 22-10-2018, 12:37 PM

My Mood:

Yeah Jonney, have put bugger all k`s on it. Was thinking of getting the timing chain inspected at 100k and go from there. It runs nicely. Was just a little concerned as want to get a little more power out of it safely for some off road trips. I have done a snorkel, looking at an exhaust and possibly a chip (but probably not) is all i really want to do in the engine area that i think might put more strain on it. Shouldn't be too much extra pressure should it?
Thanks, Chris

Old 22-10-2018, 09:10 PM

Have to point this out right now

Ive already mentioned this a few times in other parts of the forum

The timing chain in my 07 d40 STX snapped at 70,000 ks, no noise or rattle, no other signs of wear or failure, it just snapped
I was boosting nicely at 110 up a very steep long hill in SA called willunga hill

I was planning on doing the dual row kit at 100,000, just didnt quite make it

I had to do new head as well because the pistons smashed the valves when the chain broke

Old 22-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

That is the d-40 model to be wary of with timing chain failures. the d-22 late model does not have this issue as a better quality chain has been used.

Old 22-10-2018, 11:33 PM

Yea we already covered the changes and differences on timing chains earlier in this thread

Just wanted to make the point that low ks isnt necessarily a factor in what makes yd25 timing chains go ping

Old 23-10-2018, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

not all yd-25 engines have premature timing chain failures, the D-40 / yd-25 engine is not the same as the D-22 / yd-25 engine.