ATP Problems Really Getting To Me???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOTNAVARA

Reaction score
Hi All, this keeps happening to me and i dont know why, my mate keeps taking the p*ss and say ahhh get a hilux and you wont have this problem,

just to break down what im talking about. i just got back from Moore River in Western Australia, basic little track on to the beach, few cars got stuck, i went thru fine, but on my way back i stopped to help pull out a hilux that got stuck and thought i would do a good deed, when i stopped and parked, then went to connect my snatch strap and it wasnt long enough i went to reverse and my car made a high pitched swealing noise and i looked at the dash and ATP was on. - my thoughts was what the **** is ATP (auto trans park???) i looked it up in the nissan manual, car wouldnt reverse and made weird noises, didnt know what to do so i just left the hilux there and said sorry mate car is stuffed up and left cause my forward (DRIVE) was working but reverse wouldnt (ATP still on) disconnected the negative terminal when i got back to base and that reset my computer (ECU) then ATP is still on, so drove around for a bit in drive only as reverse doesnt work and ATP still on, ATP eventually went off and car reverses

is this a common problem and does this mean my trans or gearbox has problem, my car is usually serviced all the time with new trans and diff, oils and everything but i had this problem a few times now, once in a water crossing which i said never again and after that. just basic beach work in moore river.

hope someone know what it could be and how to help fix/prevent this problem. im about to sell my car... :homo:

Attachments

• 1390721080955.jpg
    1390721080955.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
From the manual:

Automatic transmission park
warning light ( model)

This light indicates that the automatic transmission
parking function is not engaged. If
the transfer control shift lever is not secured
in any drive position while the automatic
transmission selector lever is in the P (Park)
position, the vehicle may move unexpectedly.
Shift the transfer control shift lever into the
2H, 4H, or 4L position when the warning
light comes on.
When parking, always make sure that the
transfer control shift lever is in 2H, 4H, or
4L and the parking brake is set.

If the ATP light is ON, this indicates that
the automatic transmission P (Park) position
will not function and the transfer
control shift lever is in the N (Neutral)
position.

Failure to engage the transfer control shift
lever in 2H, 4H, or 4L could result in the
vehicle moving unexpectedly, resulting in

serious personal injury or property damage.

I think you may be fine and the nav shouldn't have any major dramas

Last edited:
thanks for the welcome, i appreciate your information and time, comments, but my car does this when im not doing anything wrong... its not like im putting it into park when its moving or from drive to reverse when its moving, weird thing is how long it takes for the car to recover afterwards. like 10-20minutes with the car off, and sometimes still doesnt, i actually have to drive it only forward and around switching the 2wd, 4h and 4l to get it back to normal then i dont wanna go offroad after that spoiling the trips i do. and doubt in my car :(

anybody can recommend good nissan mechanics that know there stuff.
i went to morley nissan which is in Perth Western Australia - North Of The River Area. which is DVG and they said there was nothing wrong with my car. but i have all these problems.

alot of doubt whether they actually check it out or run tests and look into it or not. i dont mind paying if things get resolved.fixed

do you think it might be

the 4wd position sensor is failing or something. or there might be water in the transfer case. i just recently serviced all this tough and haven't been thru water.

you said you have to drive around switching between 2H. 4H and LOW??
did you know that you should NEVER switch into low when moving??
the manual says and from my experience you need to be in neutral and in the auto you need to be in PARK and foot on brake for the LOW range to activated.
you also mentioned in another thread that you damaged the auto trans cooler?? did it get driven much with the damage?

Oh and dont worry about yota owners, they are just insecure about spending all that extra coin and getting less and realising that the Navs all ways go further and cost 10k less so they feel the need to try and justify there poor choice in utes.
Dont get me wrong the old yotas were heaps better then there opposition BACK IN THE DAY, just not anymore, i still own an old 95 model LN106 solid axle and the thing is a tough old ute but after that model they have never been as good and rely TOTALLY on that old rep.

Oh and dont worry about yota owners, they are just insecure about spending all that extra coin and getting less and realising that the Navs all ways go further and cost 10k less so they feel the need to try and justify there poor choice in utes.
Dont get me wrong the old yotas were heaps better then there opposition BACK IN THE DAY, just not anymore, i still own an old 95 model LN106 solid axle and the thing is a tough old ute but after that model they have never been as good and rely TOTALLY on that old rep.

This is so true !

i guess they dont make them as good as they used to hey!!!

what do you think is the toughest to get, a really good car i can pretty much do anything or go anywhere in, like water crossings and everything.

yeah thats my bad btw, i just assumed! - which i shouldnt have. that the point of on the fly switching 2H,4H,4L you can just switch, usually does it without problems, do you suggest i should get my trans looked at, incase something might be wrong with it now! after all this switching during driving and the loud piercing noise it makes sometimes when changing with the ATP light.

so from now on ill give it a go and see how we go with the stop the car, put it in park with the 4LOW on and then reverse. thing is...

when this all happened, i was on the beach already in 4LOW just in Drive.
and just reversed, perhaps i didnt hold the break long enough before switching to reverse.

:( dunno, doubtful

I usualy put it in netural and let it click in, then select the gear I want.. the autos on the d40 have a habbit of engaging with a slight delay but if you give it time to engage before accelerating you should be fine.. as for hearing the sound you describe and still not comfortable with how it drives why not get it checked out at a professional trans place

thanks for the quick reply. is anyone able to recommend a professional trans place in Perth WA. or a good Nissan place. all the nissan people here seem to wanna rush and its like they dont even look at your car anyways. they serviced my car last time cost me $600 i said ahhh ok ill just pay that and get it all shmick ready for camping and it stuffed up offroad with that ATP thing again.

since then i been servicing them myself and with a close friend who knows his stuff.
but now even we both stumped. he is more a TOYOTA HILUX and HOLDEN expert tho

but he knows his stuff. dunno, this car is costing me heaps.
my last car was a HILUX and it died thru a water crossing.

Any car car die in a water crossing - hit it with the engine revving hard enough and once the water makes it to the radiator fan, it propels itself straight through your radiator. There's even a picture of one that did this somewhere on this forum. Wading bra and light engine work is the key to water crossings.

The manual indicates that selecting 4LO might be impossible with the ATP light on, but reverse should still be available. It makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the sensing of the gearbox position, like there's some damage inside? Given the history (transmission cooler impact in the radiator) I would be concerned about the gearbox's innards.

And I'd also be shopping for an external tranny cooler (no, not an eski for a man in fishnet stockings).

lol, thanks Tony, i am getting a new radiator (heavy duty from ebay) a new trans cooler and getting the transfer case checked out. will take me awhile to make the money so when i do get all this sorted ill come back and let everyone know, but yeah seems to me my Navara has been pretty strong apart from the radiator shit design navara did in spain and thailand with the build. but the ATP is another issue. doesnt stop the car moving forwards, but affects the revs sometimes and holds them.

ill have to get my good mate from either Ovaboost or Trevs Trans to check it out.

problems never ends with me

just got this and cant fit it to my car. cause the d**ksmack on ebay sold me a diesel one :(

anyone know where i can get a hose to run from one end to the other because its suppose to go left to left not left to right :(

anyone who has a v6 petrol nissan d40 will notice there top hose goes left engine to left radiator well this radiator for a diesel one goes from left engine side to right.

youll see the picture and understand what im talking about i need a different hose is it possible to get/find, if so where in perth australia or ebay ?

but not much can do now i got it.:rambo:

Attachments

• example 1.jpg
    example 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 73
switch reading incorrectly hey. did you have the same problem as me TigerST. loose reverse gear, ATP light flashing and no 4x4 and then you get a high pitched noise...

i put this together for nissan to have a look and do a major service.

hopefully doesnt cost me to much. whats everyone recon.

this is my last option before i fix it up and sell it and get a HILUX or OLDER PATROL

RADIATOR HEAVY DUTY- To Be Installed with NEW LONG LIFE COOLANT – All Required Including Support Brackets, So It Doesn’t Move Around Or Break When Off-Road
It’s My 4th Radiator NOW
Fix AIRCON – Install required and Regas – This was not done when Radiator was replaced.
PRICE $____________
SERVICE – Full MAJOR Service 100K Service, What’s Required.
BELTS??? If Required Change. BRAKES To Be Inspected – CAR BRAKES ARE REALLY BAD???
Please Do Spark Plugs, Leads, Oil, Fuel Filters, Air Filters Etc… (LEAVE MY K&N in There – Thanks)
Check Thermostat – If Required Replace PLEASE! – Check For Engine And Trans Damage – PREASURE TESTS – Diagnostics If Required. Do What You Need To Do.
PRICE $____________
DIAGNOSTICS – Full Test – Please Check Head, Pressure Test Engine To Check For Damage After 4th Radiator Replacement Now, Might Have Overheating And Damaged Something?
Car Still Runs Fine But Want To Make Sure Before Spending Money On It, If Any Major Problems Before Going Ahead – I Will Pay For Quote/Check/Inspection And Then Get A Full Quote To Fix Car.
Please Check Transmission – Keep Getting Flashing Light And Loosing Reverse Gear When Off-road.
ATP Flashing Light With High Pitched Squealing Noise and I Loose Reverse Gear – Making Weird Nose – Resolved Myself By Disconnecting and Reconnecting Battery and Driving Around in 2wd in Drive For 10minutes. – BIT CONCERNED – Might Be Mechanical Issue or Just Needs ATP Top up Fluid after Radiator Damage – J MATIC ATP Fluid I Think This Car Uses – I’m Sure You Can Find out and Top up and Flush Clean and Refill with What’s Required. - THANKS
PRICE $____________
REPLACE/REQUIRED – Missing Connectors, Plugs to Be Noted and Replaced 
BROKEN CONNECTOR UNKNOWN WHAT IT IS. Damaged When Radiator Was Smashed.
FIX Broken AIRBOX – Wont Close Properly as Clips Missing – If Required Replace Full BOX.
Wheel Surround Guards, One Broken Can You Please Fix And Replace Including Mud Guards Etc…
PRICE $____________
TOTAL $____________

Latest posts

Back