Common Problems?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramsay89

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this looks like a well-rounded community...

I am looking at buying my first Navara, a 2011 D40 ST Manual with 36,000kms on it. So far I've browsed the forums and a webpage here and there that have a range of different opinions on the reliability of the D40.

I love the way the D40 looks, and I've been looking forward to being able to afford one for a few years now. It is perfect for my lifestyle, and I've driven my boss' ST-X a couple of times - I love it. The comfort factor and the space in the back is a huge plus for me, leaning me toward the D40 rather than the D22.

I will be using this ute to drive to work, and run around two small boys on the weekends and the odd camping trip, with NO towing or hardcore bush bashing on the cards...

What are the common & major problems that a car from this period and kms could expect? I've read stories about clutches letting go, but only under heavy towing. I've also read about problems with the diffs .

I also read about owners, including my boss, who have had a flawless car and are in love with it. Are these cases where the ute is a bit of a dud rare? How worried should I be about buying one of these things and it turning a bit sour quickly?

Cheers,
Ben

G'day Ben and Welcome.

Going by your intended use it could be a good thing. I do know that the latter (from about July or August I think) 2011 Thai built D40's did have single mass fly wheels and being manual no DPF's which is a good thing. The Diffs, well the front diffs are a bit weak but if you don't intend to do any heavy off roading. I would not be concerned. Quite low K's which is great but none the less check service history and make sure the the 2year (40,000K) service has been completed. In this service most of the fluids are changed which can be quite expensive.

Hi everyone, this looks like a well-rounded community...

I am looking at buying my first Navara, a 2011 D40 ST Manual with 36,000kms on it. So far I've browsed the forums and a webpage here and there that have a range of different opinions on the reliability of the D40.

I love the way the D40 looks, and I've been looking forward to being able to afford one for a few years now. It is perfect for my lifestyle, and I've driven my boss' ST-X a couple of times - I love it. The comfort factor and the space in the back is a huge plus for me, leaning me toward the D40 rather than the D22.

I will be using this ute to drive to work, and run around two small boys on the weekends and the odd camping trip, with NO towing or hardcore bush bashing on the cards...

What are the common & major problems that a car from this period and kms could expect? I've read stories about clutches letting go, but only under heavy towing. I've also read about problems with the diffs .

I also read about owners, including my boss, who have had a flawless car and are in love with it. Are these cases where the ute is a bit of a dud rare? How worried should I be about buying one of these things and it turning a bit sour quickly?

Cheers,
Ben

Well I can only comment on my car an 09 stx, I use it mainly to drive out to the mines but also do some moderate 4wding. I wouldnt hesitate getting another, maybe the v6 as Just ordered a 21ft van to tow around but mine should handle that no worries. Just clicked over 140,000 and has never let me down, mine gets serviced every 5000 and use penrite (the good oil:love sign:) . Now what is this about towing and clutches letting go:confused3: well i shall soon see

cheers

Just like Matt, I have an 09 STX and it's been everywhere. We use it as a daily driver, for towing our caravan (formerly the 1.8T currently in my sig, and now the 2.5T bunk van we picked up just this month) and for the occasional 4WD trip, some of which has been a little more than mild.

I'm stoked with it. Had to replace the fluid coupling on the cooling fan recently, and she no longer gets really hot hauling the caravan up hills (despite the extra kg - I'd estimate it was around 2300kg when we took it out for its first trip). Other than that, no drama.

If I was to replace it, I'd get the V6 too - more for the improved fuel economy than anything else, but the extra torque is also a bonus!

Hi everyone,

Cheers for the warm welcome and useful information! Today I took a look at the D40 I mentioned in my original post. Turns out it is a September 2011 build, so I can rest a bit easy on the clutch side of things, and I noticed a small cloud of black smoke when I took off from a set of traffic lights, which would indicate the lack of a DPF I guess?

The car ran fine and looks and feels like its only done 36,000kms. Underneath it looks like it has been for more than one run on a beach... Being a bit of noob when it comes to 4WDing, getting somebody's opinion on the state of the underside would be great. I've included an album of images of the car, which show a few spots of dirt and rust from the bottom of the ute.

Once again, cheers for your help. I look forward to becoming a bit more active with the forums if/when I pick up this ute.

Cheers,
Ben

http://imgur.com/a/12E3O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back