Raw suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also when I changed the torsion bars. I counted the number of turns the stock ones took to undo which was 15 turns each side. The new bars took 19-20 turns each to get the front back to the same height? Does that seem right? I thought being a heavier duty bar (higher spring rate?) That it would take a few less turns on the adjuster to get the same height?

Hey guys, I'm on raw shocks and leafs at the moment. Cost me $700 and I installed them myself. So far so good. Only been in for a couple thousand ks though. Can't see to much going wrong with them. I also purchased greasable pins and shackles and poly bushings for $200. All off ebay
Hey mate, what leaf springs did you go for, medium or constant load? And how much lift did you end up getting out of them?

I've done just over 500km and mine are at about 755-760mm on the rear. Haven't had anything in the back yet but I hope it doesn't go down any more.
I haven't installed the torsion bars yet. I would have assumed it would take less turns to get the same height up front.
I happy with the ride so far though. The new shocks made a big difference.

Just make sure you check the ubolts lol. I checked mine after about 500km and they were only finger tight. .... :/

Just checked over all my bolts after about 750km and everything is still at the right tightness...

The front has settled about 10mm lower than where I set it. I set the torsion bars with 760mm from bottom of rim to guard and is now 750mm so I'll lift them back up the 10mm and see how it goes, it should stay there now that its done its settling in.

The back has settled to the same height as 2012 d22's. 755mm on passenger side and 760mm on drivers side. I have a steel drawer on passenger side of tray (50kg) with about 30kg of gear in it so 80kg on the passenger side which will account for the 5mm difference in heights...

Still loving the ride compared to standard, it is very good.

Here's a pic if the old rear stuff alongside the new raw stuff. Shows how piddly the stock stuff is...

uploadfromtaptalk1438588202147.jpg

Rear stuff all in place and ready for wheels back on...

uploadfromtaptalk1438588521855.jpg

Front shocks in...

uploadfromtaptalk1438588546073.jpg

Front shocks only just clear the control arms at full droop... There's only a mm in it...

uploadfromtaptalk1438588586377.jpg

Took the car for a quick trip into the local state forest to see how the new suspension handles rough dirt roads and the difference is awesome. The corrugated and rocky roads that used to make the thing rattle my teeth out and skip from side to side in the back are now quite easy to drive on with no real jumping around and it absorbs the corrugations like they're not even there... Very happy with it, haven't tried it 4wd'ing yet but no doubt it will be miles better than before at that too...

Here's how mine sits now with RAW gear in it... Don't really have a good before pic though to compare it with...

uploadfromtaptalk1439016925715.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1439016941510.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1439016960412.jpg

Rear stuff all in place and ready for wheels back on...

View attachment 20632

Front shocks in...

View attachment 20633

Front shocks only just clear the control arms at full droop... There's only a mm in it...

View attachment 20634

To me it looks like the leaves are around the wrong way. Shouldn't that bracket on the springs, about 200 mm back from the front pin, be behind the axle??

Only reason I ask is I installed my suspension yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's the wrong way around. If it compresses fully then the bump stop on the chassis will smack into the bracket. The springs I got had one side longer to the center bolt. Think I have the wrong end at the front

Last edited:
To me it looks like the leaves are around the wrong way. Shouldn't that bracket on the springs, about 200 mm back from the front pin, be behind the axle??

Only reason I ask is I installed my suspension yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's the wrong way around. If it compresses fully then the bump stop on the chassis will smack into the bracket. The springs I got had one side longer to the center bolt. Think I have the wrong end at the front
You're right that the springs are different lengths from the ends to the centre bolt.

I have always been told that 99% of the time the short end is the front. Or in other words the short part of the leaf goes on the fixed pin (front on a rear axle), and the long part goes on the shackle end. That is how the stock springs were so I installed the new ones short side forward...

I have heard that you may have problems with axle wrap if you put the long side forward, someone correct me if this information is wrong...

But mines been in for about 10000 k's like this now with no issues, although I haven't got around to any serious off roading with these springs in yet...

While we are on the subject of RAW gear, I recently replaced my front shocks with a set of RAW nitro shocks, part number G6023BY.
They didn't come with the rubber covers. are the covers an optional extra, as I reckon I've been short changed by RAW and the place I bought them from couldn't get the covers.
They did do a good job tho, lifted the front a bit and the front is a lot more rigid.

Not sure what springs you have put in, but the raw springs have 3 retainers as shown in the photo above. I have mine which are the raw constant load in the same way as the pic above and have probably done the same km with a bit of medium offroading, plenty of hitting bumpstops without any retainer to bumpstop contact...

Hmm I put in blue max springs(heavy duty) and as u can see in the pics, the retainer is not that far away from the bump stop. I tried jamming the tape measure in there for a size comparison but it wouldn't fit! That's how close they are.
If I spun the springs around then there is no bracket in that spot on the other end. Also might help the diff angle a little bit and get rid of the annoying vibrations I'm now getting. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445719315.675349.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445719330.057184.jpg

I also measured the spring and I already have the shorter end to the front. My thinking is that if I turn them around it should pull the axle back a little which will help straighten out the pinion angle a bit??? Kind of like adding castor wedges?? Don't crucify me to hard, just a thought!

Zordo care to comment?? I know you use blue max springs so you will know by the pic if I have these around the wrong way.

Last edited:
Wow that is really close. The raw ones have plenty of space for the bumpstop to touch the spring. When i did mine i pulled that bump stop off the first side, then when i did the other side i forgot to take it off first, but checked the clearance and it was fine, so i put the other one back on...

I'm not sure, but i thought the bushes were a different size front and rear?

No the bushes will fit either end, I had a look before install. I only installed them this way as the standard springs have the short side to the front so I just followed suit. Had a look at a mates triton with ultimate springs fitted and whilst a little different, his appear around the other way, didn't measure them though.

You could try it I guess. I can't say I have any noticable vibration in mine, but if you're thinking it might help it is worth a try. If it doesn't help, you can always just remove those bump stops from the chassis as there is still one above the diff anyway...

Yeah good point. Does anyone know for sure any problems that might arise from putting the springs with the long side forward

The springs can only go in one way. The front bush is larger than the shackles bush
I have never had a problem with the bkt at the front of the spring.
But if it does touch just remove the bolt across the top
Cheers

While we are on the subject of RAW gear, I recently replaced my front shocks with a set of RAW nitro shocks, part number G6023BY.
They didn't come with the rubber covers. are the covers an optional extra, as I reckon I've been short changed by RAW and the place I bought them from couldn't get the covers.
They did do a good job tho, lifted the front a bit and the front is a lot more rigid.
Yeah mine came with the rubber boots included in the boxes with the shocks.

Not sure if they were optional or not though cause I got the full lift kit off them...

I've sent a message to the Powerdown mob about the rubber boots.
Waiting to see what they have to say.

Latest posts

Back