D40 Odometer problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st-x08

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I am just finished a major rebuild of a Navara just purchased and during the test driving I have found that the Odometer is going up at 4 times the speed.
just driving from the back yard to the front shows 200m instead of 50m and once around the block should show 500m comes up with 2km however the speedo is correct.
Has anyone come across this before?

The odometer and the speedometer get their data from the ABS sensors. Some people, though, in an attempt to adjust the speedometer needle, get a Jaycar speedo correction box and install it, hoping to make the speedo more accurate. This unit may be backfeeding data into the instrument cluster causing this. These are usually attached to the gearbox but someone may have wired this one in under the dash. Your speedo should (because all Navaras on standard tyres seem to be this way) be about 10% fast, so at 110km indicated you're actually doing just 100km/h.

It could also be the earth for the stereo (which is shared with the instrument cluster) is nto satisfactory. Run a test lead between the stereo and a large mount bolt under the dash and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks for that I will have a search.
There no faults coming up on the scan tool so don't think its ABS related.

I would doubt that too, what I was saying is that because the sensor data for speed & distance come from the ABS system, using the Jaycar box is not going to work unless you bodge something in the instrument cluster.

The D40 is sensitive to the ABS system and will happily throw the light on if it gets a whiff of a problem with that - so no, I don't suspect the ABS system at all.

Latest posts

Back