ABS light dramas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czechmate

Reaction score
Little bit of info on ABS faults for all y'all

My Abs light came on a couple weeks ago

I thought beauty, the brakes will work properly, which they did because ABS was now disabled

Then i realised 4wd doesnt work with ABS light

So then righto, better fix it, get the torque app and bluetooth obd dongle out to scan the codes
But torque only finds ENGINE codes

So i trundled off to Supercheap and took what i thought was a super long shot and bought their $250 bosch obd scanner

Plugged it in and bugger me, up it came "ABS fault, left rear wheel sensor"

Saved me days of head scratching and checking plugs, wires and testing sensors etc

Vehicle is 2007 navara D40 STX spainbuilt

(the only thing that was a little unusual is the navara is listed as frontier in the bosch scanner menus, as that scanner is built for the American market, even though it says Australian Edition on the packet)

Not sure about gearbox info, i think thered have to be fault codes stored to find anything

I removed the rear left abs sensor and found it open circuit
OBD for the win again

Goes to show those abs sensors can just fail internally with no damage to wiring or incident to explain why it died

Good news re the sensor.

I suspect the further information from the gearbox requires the application of a certain code by the device through the OBD port. I watched a guy hook up his device to my OBD port, then selected 'Gearbox' from the menu and it was showing things like turbine speed, gear, slippage etc. It's possible, but obviously needs an expensive device that has the correct 'handshake'.

Thanks for trying!

I replaced the ABS sensor with a $30 ebay special yesterday. The ABS light went straight off once i cleared the codes
Nissan quoted me around $320 for a genuine ABS sensor. Im all for genuine parts, but bugger that for a simple little magnet with two wires attached

Re the gearbox codes: i didnt see gearbox listed
The $250 Bosch unit has obd2 & ABS listed, i think thats it

if i find anything more with further digging ill fill you in

I have a question I have an ABS sensor issue on the right rear tire on my 2006 Navarra D 40 4 x 4. I had the mechanic replace the sensor last weekend clear the code and the problem came back my question to you is when you replace the sensor was there a oil between the sensor and the Sensing gear itself. Or was it clean inside the cavity where the sensor is installed

Welcome to the forum.

It has to be clean so that the receiver can see the signal through the teeth. It's actually quite a simple device - transmitter, toothed wheel, receiver. If the teeth are blocked, no signal passes through and the system assumes that wheel is not turning. If the other wheels are turning, either there's a problem with the wheel (very unlikely) or the ABS on that wheel is faulty (likely) so it throws the ABS light.

so since there is oil in-between the sensor and the gear that the season reads i am guessing i have a bad rear axel gasket that is leaking into the abs sensor cavity between the abs sensor and the gear/cog that it reads. would this be a correct assumption?

I dunno about that. I wouldnt think a bit of grease would cause a problem because the sensor is detecting conductive metal rotating past it

My wheel sensor was pretty greasy when I replaced it

That wasnt the problem though, the problem was that the sensor coil had broken and was open circuit

Latest posts

Back