Losing Power and High EGT’s

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersonic

Reaction score
I have just returned from some pretty rough offroading and I suspect something has come
off/unplugged/broken etc.
During the offroading at low speeds but accelerating the only thing I noticed was that there was a lot of air vent noise like the fan was on high. However this continued even with the Aircon off.
Once I was back on the highway the EGT gauge (this was fitted ages ago with a Chipit chip) went to LIGHT ON meaning it disconnects the chip. Ok, so after a bit I remove the chip (which I had set on a low power setting but just enough to assist overtaking when I have the trailer behind.) Well, under acceleration it would still reach max temp.
I started looking for a broken vacuum line, (had that one before when I lost all turbo power) but can’t see anything. I had a good look at the air-filter but while it is grubby it is still in ok condition.
The clue is the air noise behind the dashboard.

Any ideas? I’d be grateful for some tips. I’ve got it booked in with the dealer next week but as we all know this can be an expensive exercise.

Check your intercooler hoses, it may be a leak there. Going by what you describe it sounds like a boost leak but that won't cause high egt's.

I'm thinking a rich condition because of boost leak or massive intake restriction would cause high EGT's and a lot of wooshing noise.

Howdy all, got the same issue....

Coming from QLD and same thing, no off roaring though. Started to feel loss of power looked at the egt gauge and its sitting 400 + and really sluggish..
I'm wondering if she'll make it home ?
Really pressing it go past 100 k's and the temp spikes fast...
Got me tossed, idles well , revs well and stand still but not under load ?

Any idea's?

Howdy all, got the same issue....

Coming from QLD and same thing, no off roaring though. Started to feel loss of power looked at the egt gauge and its sitting 400 + and really sluggish..
I'm wondering if she'll make it home ?
Really pressing it go past 100 k's and the temp spikes fast...
Got me tossed, idles well , revs well and stand still but not under load ?

Any idea's?
Sounds like a boost leak as mentioned above. Either that or your wastegate is stuck open and the turbo isn't building enough boost. You have a zd30 from memory don't you?

Sounds like a boost leak as mentioned above. Either that or your wastegate is stuck open and the turbo isn't building enough boost. You have a zd30 from memory don't you?

Yes mate I do own the zd. The gauge is showing boost, in fact it is boosting a little more than usual and boosts up rather quick but no power.. I can get it to sit on 300 egt if I stay in fourth .. 90 ks at 300 egr 3100 rpm 14 to 16 psi .. As soon as I pick up fith it goes through the roof.. Spoke to mechanic over phone and he was suggesting restricted air flow. New air filter and vac lines this morning no change.. Mech thought it may be a butterfly staying closed?????

Last edited:
And thirsty on fuel also.

33.26lt to 191klm to work out millage do you multiply 33lt x 100 then divide by 191 k's???

Last edited:
Yes mate I do own the zd. The gauge is showing boost, in fact it is boosting a little more than usual and boosts up rather quick but no power.. I can get it to sit on 300 egt if I stay in fourth .. 90 ks at 300 egr 3100 rpm 14 to 16 psi .. As soon as I pick up fith it goes through the roof.. Spoke to mechanic over phone and he was suggesting restricted air flow. New air filter and vac lines this morning no change.. Mech thought it may be a butterfly staying closed?????
Fair enough, you should be able to test the butterfly by hand and see if it is moving. I thought you'd have trouble starting it if it stayed closed. Have you got the EGR blocked or not?
100 kph at 2900 rpm 400 egt 16 ro 18 p
si. In flat road.
Boost sounds about right but definitely hotter than it should be.
And thirsty on fuel also.

33.26lt to 191klm to work out millage do you multiply 33lt x 100 then divide by 191 k's???
You can either work it out as 191/33.26 which would give you km per litre or 33.26/191 X 100 which gives you litres per 100km... Same as what you said second anyway...

Fair enough, you should be able to test the butterfly by hand and see if it is moving. I thought you'd have trouble starting it if it stayed closed. Have you got the EGR blocked or not?Boost sounds about right but definitely hotter than it should be.You can either work it out as 191/33.26 which would give you km per litre or 33.26/191 X 100 which gives you litres per 100km... Same as what you said second anyway...

Yup, it's got me tossed.. managed to get back to Vic thankfully..

Butterfly, seem ok..

I'll disconnect the chip tomorrow and see if it's that???

It's responsive down low but fades quickly up high, you can hold it flat and it just creeps up to100 110 but that's about it, temp doesn't go past 450 when I was playing around with it on the way back...

I did give a good dose of diesel injector cleaner on the way up, every tank I put 50 to 100 ml.. surely that couldn't mess anything up !

Yup, so I'm buggered if I know... I'll keep you posted..

5.7lt per kIm or 17.2lt per 100klm not good eh = injectors maybe ????

Last edited:
Excessive fuel consumption could come from under-airing (boost leak?) or over-fuelling (MAPS/MAFS dirty/faulty?). Excessive EGR will also cause poor economy but won't raise EGTs, if anything it will lower them. High EGT will come from high fuel, particularly if one injector is dribbling a bit (not sure I'd jump this way just yet). How's the smoke look when you are driving?

I didn't realise it had a chip. Bugger that off first and check it. It could be advancing the pump timing too far or holding the spill valve shut too long causing overfueling. Without knowing what brand of chip it's hard to diagnose that, but I'd start by removing it and have a look see. Zd30s are pretty basic, is it making any different noises when you're accelerating (or trying to) or does everything sound ok?

Excessive fuel consumption could come from under-airing (boost leak?) or over-fuelling (MAPS/MAFS dirty/faulty?). Excessive EGR will also cause poor economy but won't raise EGTs, if anything it will lower them. High EGT will come from high fuel, particularly if one injector is dribbling a bit (not sure I'd jump this way just yet). How's the smoke look when you are driving?

That's the weird thing Tony, it has plenty of boost and no boost leaks I can hear .. Yup it's like it has an air restriction..
Ideling fine and starts like it always has, one maybe two cranks..not lies it starts like a jam, I just flick the key and she fires. But I did think injectors... they would be nearly 90000 k's by now.. lol I've probably blown the tip off one from my cleaning additive regime..
Ahhh I can't see, my Ute has a huge arse bike carrier that's covered but I can't see anything in the rear view cam... I did look for that when I was putting the boot into it..

I didn't realise it had a chip. Bugger that off first and check it. It could be advancing the pump timing too far or holding the spill valve shut too long causing overfueling. Without knowing what brand of chip it's hard to diagnose that, but I'd start by removing it and have a look see. Zd30s are pretty basic, is it making any different noises when you're accelerating (or trying to) or does everything sound ok?

Got to get her moving some how Bod's;) yup it's the one that came out from England or alike.. danm, I can't think of the name now, dchip or something like that..
But yes, "my neck and back stopped me from getting to her today" but i will disconect that tomorrow and see..
I'll do what guru Tony stated and clean sensors, but first the chip... I'll do things one at a time so hopefully "we" can get some definitive answers for the forum..

No, nothing like a knock at the door ;)

I'm betting and hoping it's the chip, funny if it is - I was looking at a second hand Steinberg one when I fitted the new pump, but money was tight and after running the pump in I conected the old one back up...
I can't see how a leaky injector would cause it to lose power like it has, got me tossed...

Thanks for the help too , you guys don't know how much I love this forum, I'd be lost with out it that's for sure !

Last edited:
Bods is a guru too, no doubt there. The chip (which I'd overlooked) is also a prime candidate.

The best way to see smoke is to be in a car that's behind your car and have someone else drive yours so that it behaves poorly and you can watch the results.

Don't look in your mirrors at night. Even when my DPF was working fine, my car appeared to blow smoke at night - yet the inside of my exhaust was squeaky clean and you couldn't see even a wisp of smoke during the day.

Bods is a guru too, no doubt there. The chip (which I'd overlooked) is also a prime candidate.

The best way to see smoke is to be in a car that's behind your car and have someone else drive yours so that it behaves poorly and you can watch the results.

Don't look in your mirrors at night. Even when my DPF was working fine, my car appeared to blow smoke at night - yet the inside of my exhaust was squeaky clean and you couldn't see even a wisp of smoke during the day.

Hey i never under estimated the Bod's, danm-we are going to build a "barra" nav ;)

Yes mate to true, I've have been caught with the night view in the mirror before I had the tray fitted lol

Getting someone to drive it is a little tricky at the moment, ill see what the chip does tomorrow Tony and go from there..

Good to know your here bloke, me and Bod's might need help with our "barry baby's" wiring ;)

Auto or manual Bod's , I'm thinking Auto.. weeeeeee

Latest posts

Back