tube in tire ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
why can,t a tube be fitted to a radial tire ? my daughter had a punture with her corolla and the tire tech guys said she needs a new tire as it has a small cut and air is escaping [ yes i know that ] i said can you just put a tube in and they said no you can,t put a tube in a radial tyre as it might pop off.
well this is new to me as many years ago i did fit and repair tires at a servo and there was not an issue with fitting a tube to any tire from what i remember. i wanted this leaking tire and new tube fitted to the spare steel rim as its only used very rarely as you all know and naturally not fitted to the corolla mag rim. so a $30 repair cost $128 just for a bloody punture.
is it all money money money these days with tire shops etc etc.

The only reason I can think of is because of the friction that would develop between the tube and the tyre as it flexes. That would cause the tyre and tube to heat up resulting in the possible destruction of either.

Might be done and dusted but it's a myth. They tell you all sorts of B/S, the tyre is going to run to hot, blah blah blah. I have traveled well over 20,000K's on an around Australia trip many years back. With Tubes inside of radial tyres and never any issues.

If you have a blow out with a tube in the tyre the tyre will stick to the rim much better. Pretty handy in that situation.

yes as i mentioned i also used to fit tires at a servo and these were steel belted radial tires with tubes fitted. plus also as mentioned i only wanted this tube fitted to the spare wheel which spends most of its life in the boot and when needed only does a few k,s before it put back into bed again.
thanks JAXS

Latest posts

Back